Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

How to fill gaps between window and blocking?

FL

04-12-13, 07:54 AM   #1  
How to fill gaps between window and blocking?

I just hung an aluminum window.

Wall is 8" concrete blocks. Had an old window there before which I tore out along with all the furrings and blocking.

I then attached new 1x2 furrings around the edges of the concrete block openings using Tapcon screws and in a couple of spots shimmed them square and level.

I fit the window onto the new opening and it's a really snug fit height wise. Looked like I needed to shave off 1/16" from the furring on the top, but then I realized there are some rubber "bumps" at the corners of the aluminum window so I push down the top edge and was able to get the window fitted in tight.

It looks good from the outside I just need to caulk and seal the edges and do some stucco work.

On the inside as I looked the top/bottom is pretty tight and no gap at all.

The left and right I do have some space. There is 1/4" gap on the left side and same on the right. I guess I can screw through the furrings into the concrete blocks to secure the window. Do I need to fill these two gaps with something?

I Googled and saw some just squeeze caulk into the gap. Is that advisable, does it really help? I also saw some push some foam rods into the gap with a putty knife, is that the solution? Or should I pull the window out, and attach a thin layer of 1/4" ply on both the left and right furring?

Also, in screwing down the window, there is no way to drill a hole straight down? The glass is in the way, so my drill has to be slanted, does it mean all the screws will have to be slanted or is there a trick I am not aware?

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

04-12-13, 02:04 PM   #2  
Can you post a few pix, not close ups, of this so we can see what you see?

Search this Thread