Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

American Craftsman Replacement Window and Sliding Glass Door- Installation

NJ

04-13-13, 05:05 AM   #1  
American Craftsman Replacement Window and Sliding Glass Door- Installation

Hi:

I have installed two replacement windows and the sliding glass door. As you can see in the photo, there are gaps that need to be filled before trim is placed. Is it better to fill with regular fiberglass insulation or the foam insulation that comes in a spray can?

Also, for the windows, they are attached to the exterior wood frame, but loosely. The instructions say to not overtighten the screws because it may distort the window frame. The bottom screws are in good. For the top side screws, if the screws were inserted now, because of the window and frame placement, the screw would not make contact with the wood frame. Is it normal for the window to be in, but not secured in a super tight fashion?

Thanks.

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

04-13-13, 05:48 AM   #2  
Yes, don't tighten the screws too much or the vinyl will distort causing an air leak, or operational failures. If you choose to use the foam, be sure to use the minimally expanding foam made for door and window installation. Poking fiberglas in the cracks is not best, as you are compressing the insulation, thereby negating its effectiveness as an insulator. You want to stop air and insulate at the same time, and IMO the foam will do it best. Is your window plumb? Gotta ask.

NJ

04-13-13, 05:57 AM   #3  
hi chandler:

yes, i believe windows are plumb. i will double check. thanks.

Search this Thread