Replacing glass pane in door

Old 05-15-13, 05:37 PM
Replacing glass pane in door

Hello,

I need to replace a pane of glass on the kitchen door at the apartment I am renting. I attached some pictures of the door. The broken pane is the one on the bottom, and I have already removed the broken glass.

From consulting online DIY videos, I take it that this is a fairly straightforward repair I can do myself.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think I am supposed to -

1. Use a utility knife to cut around the window pane.
2. Use a couple of painter's knives to remove the four pieces of wood around the pane.
3. Use window caulk to line the four edges.
4. Insert the new glass.
5. Replace the four pieces of wood and secure them with nails?

Additionally, what is the best way to go about measuring the window (where do i measure from?) for the new pane of glass?

Should I be using nails to secure the wooden frame back (after inserting the new pane of glass), or something else?

Any input you could provide me with completing this repair would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-13, 06:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You use the razor knife to cut the paint line beteen the trim and the rails and stiles.
Not sure what a painters knife is, could mean a putty knife, and yes that's what you can tap in to open up the gap so a flat pry bar will fit in to remove the trim.

It's called glazing putty not window caulking.
You roll it between your hands to make it into to a string of putty.

Once the trims off pull the nails out from the back side with a pair of channel locks.

Old 05-15-13, 06:21 PM
Group Moderator
Well, first off, you usually need the landlord's permission to do any repairs. He won't be happy if you break one of those wooden window stops.

I'm not a big fan of cutting paint with a utility knife. If you know exactly where to cut, great, but if you don't you will only do more damage than good by cutting it. Use a stiff putty knife and tap it into the gap under the center of the longest piece. Once you've loosened it, and removed it, you will have it made. The problem is that usually some gomer nailed the piece too close to the corner, which makes it very difficult to remove. If you can't get one of the long pieces off without breaking it... try the other one, and maybe it will come off easier. Once the long piece is off, then do the sides, then do the remaining long piece. Pull the nails out through the back side of the wood with a visegrips or pliers, don't hammer them back out the face, as this can blow out the wood around the head of the nail.

Installation of the stops is done in the reverse order. 1 long piece, then 2 short side pieces, then bow the final long piece into place.

Door glass, by code, is supposed to be tempered. This usually has to be ordered by a commercial glass shop and will usually take a few days to arrive. Glass should usually be about 1/8" smaller than the opening. So if your opening is 16x24, the glass should be 15 7/8 x 23 7/8. Once the old glass is out, it will be obvious where to measure. But if you need to figure out a size before you take the old one out, you can figure out where to measure to if you tap the putty knife behind the stops. That will mark the edge that you will measure to (minus the 1/8".)

There is single strength glass and double strength glass, and they are of slightly different thicknesses. If you are in doubt of which type you have, take a piece in when you go to place your order. I would think it would be double strength.

When you go to reinstall the glass, use 3d or 4d finish nails. Predrill the holes in your stops to make it easier, using a drill bit that is one size smaller in diameter than the nail. Nail every 6-8", and there is no reason to nail any closer than 3" from the corners. Like I said, that will make it easier for the next guy to get the stops off without breaking them.

Old 05-16-13, 12:09 PM
Predrill the holes in your stops to make it easier, using a drill bit that is one size smaller in diameter than the nail.
My favorite trick for drilling through trim that will be attached with finish nails is to cut the head off one of the nails with side-cutters and chuck the headless nail into the drill.

Old 05-16-13, 02:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you do not cut the paint line first with a razer knife it's going to peel the paint off when you remove the trim.