replacing front door help

Old 05-16-13, 05:46 PM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
replacing front door help

Hi, I'm about to replace the front door but I have some issues that I believe are straight forward. This is a 100+ year old concrete masonry unite house.

1) Door frame, that which the pre-hung door jamb will screw into, is basically 2x4s that are coming loose. I will want to replace these so the door is nice and solid, new 2x's or 1x's glued and nailed into the blocks.

2) Door frame currently is 33.75 x 81.5in (WxH) and the door itself is 32 x 80in, the door I want requires a 34.5 x 82.5in rough opening for a secure fit, which I don't have even though the door itself is 32 x 80. Will this door still work?

3) I might want to install a security door over the front so I can leave the door open at night and deadbolt the security door for airflow through the house.

With these factors in mind what is my best course of action? I want that nice solid closing feel and sound on the front door because right now a 5 year old could kick my front door in. Please let me know if you need more information and thank you for your help!

Old 05-18-13, 05:33 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Obviously, the way you describe it, only 1x4s will work for the door you want. I don't know what you mean by a security door but leaving the door opened at night, will not provide security.

Old 05-18-13, 06:36 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Post a picture, would love to see why the frame is "loose".
New pre hung doors are not rough framed tight to the jambs.
The rough opening is 2" wider then the door size and from 1" to 2" taller.
If it was tight there would be no way to plumb and level the door.

Old 05-18-13, 07:55 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Re: # 2 - It, your new door/frame, (pre-hung unit), in relation to the door itself, sounds 'standard'...and should fit.. given that your 'standard' R/O allows for a standard 'pre-hung' unit, which looks like it should work. You have .75 (3/4") of width to play with and 1" height to play with, which should allow enough room to shim to plumb....It should work, so that the unit will fit in the R/O....allowing for shims. If your R/O is relatively plumb and square, it's probably do-able, imo.. (been there..and have done that....).
Your 'security' door you mention, would probably be fitted over/outside, of your actual door...either along the 'brick' molding..or whatever the finished trim is, around your front door... as a seperate unit....
That's my take on this....
Pics are Always helpfull...!!
good luck..
you'll do fine...!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: