Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Is it okay to take out a 2x4 on each side of an entry and replace with 1x4

Old 05-19-13, 04:33 PM

I am trying to put some french doors into an opening I have. There is no door there at present. The standard doors are 48 inches wide but require like 50 1/2 inch rough in. I took off the molding on both sides but only have 49 inches. On both sides I have 2 - 2x4's. They are holding up 2 2x4 (like a beam).

In order for me to get the required 50 1/2 inches I was thinking about taking out a one by four on each side and then replacing with a 1x4 or 3/4 x4 on each side. Would this cause any issues with support?

Do I have any other options?

The doors are internal (from office to dining room)

Thanks

Last edited by Michael Oakes; 05-19-13 at 04:34 PM. Reason: clarification
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-13, 04:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! If you remove the jack studs, you will be left with bubble gum to hold up your header. Short answer, no. I have seen 1x4's replacing 2x4's for interior door headers, but it is really "iffy" for support. Ideally you will want to remove one jack stud and king stud, the header and sheetrock surrounding it. Move the king and jack to the required opening and replace the header, resting it on the jacks.
Stand by, XSleeper will be along shortly.

Old 05-19-13, 05:05 PM
Hello, Thanks for your quick response. So I would still have 3x4 on each side (1 full 2x4 and then the 1x4). Still not enough support?

Could you please explain the jack and king stud? Sorry, Rookie here.

Old 05-19-13, 05:15 PM
Remember your header is sitting on top of your 2x4 jack stud only. Remove it and replace it with a 1x you are reducing it's ability to hold the vertical load and will compromise the opening.

Old 05-19-13, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator
http://cdn-0.carpentry-pro-framer.co...ll-framing.png

Jack and trimmer stud are the same.

I know they make some sort of metal bracket that can replace a jack stud...but I'm not sure if it is approved everywhere or what it's name is. Just something I've seen used on home shows...but it's been a while.

Ahhh found it...it's called a header hanger and would probably be special order.

Old 05-19-13, 05:20 PM
gotcha, Makes sense now...Ahh, Might be too much for me. Anyone know where I can find 46 inch french doors instead of standard 48 inch. Looks like in UK they come standard in 46 but can't seem to find anything here. Might be worth the delivery charges to not have to do all of that?

Old 05-19-13, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator
See my last post....might be doable for you....

Old 05-20-13, 06:14 AM
Have you even checked this out to see if it's a supporting wall?
If I read your post right and it's really a double 2 X 4 used for the header, I'd highly doubt that's a supporting wall and you should be able to do as you suggested.
Does this wall run parallel with the rafters? If so then It's not a supporting wall.