Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Help with VERY ODD sized sliding screen doors

Old 05-24-13, 11:26 AM

I need help with a project on a recently bought 44-yr old houseboat. I had all the screens replaced but the 2 sliding doors are quite odd sized. The screen company wanted $200+ each to make these 2 small screen doors and I just don't have that right now so I've been looking for options. I have the screen to go in them already. The sizes are:

26.25"w x 50.5"h and 24"w x 76"h

I know the 50" seems weird, but it works, with a little ducking. It's in a space with a dropped floor and has 2 stairs out.

Anyway, I noticed Dr. Guy was very helpful re: what was needed for an oversized door on a 2007 thread, and was hoping for some 'nuts & bolts' help on just what parts to buy to make these doors. My bro in law is coming to town to help w/things next week and he'll be able to put it all together if I can get the materials.

Thanks ahead if anyone can help.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-13, 01:21 PM
Group Moderator
Are they metal? Pictures would help. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 05-24-13, 01:36 PM
Hi, I don't know your skill level. I would buy the smallest sliding door then take it apart and cut it to the size I needed.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Old 05-24-13, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator
I know it seems counter intuitive...but you might check with a big box store. They normally have suppliers that can custom make screens. these are big factories that make storm windows, screens, etc, and since the shipping is part of the normal process, they can often be cheaper.

Old 05-24-13, 02:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd also check with a mobile home supply house and see if they have any sizes that will work.

Old 05-24-13, 03:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
There is the option of retractable screens which roll up into a sleeve and/or screen "drapes" a looser mesh that hangs with a slit in the middle.

Old 05-25-13, 04:16 AM
Besides the screen door dimensions, the type of top and bottom track must also be considered. I like Woodbutcher's idea since you will have all the parts and they would just have to be cut to size.

Old 05-26-13, 12:54 PM
Thanks for replies

Thanks for your replies.

Re: Woodbutchers idea, although it sounds good, I did have someone tell me it would be easy to cut down the height of a larger 'ready-made' sliding screen door, but not the width - due to the roller situation. I believe I will either have simple non-rolling screens made that I can put in and out as needed (these aren't expensive) OR, use czizzi's idea and buy those magnetic hanging screens as an alternative.

Thanks to all!