Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Replacing balancers in vinyl windows that do not tilt out...images provided

Old 05-24-13, 02:49 PM

We are replacing the balancers in most of the windows in our house. I cannot find instructions online on how to get them out to measure for the replacements. I do not know the manufacturer as a company put them in 12+ years ago.

They do not tilt in to clean/change. There is no screw on the bottom and there is only a screw at the top that is under massive tension. (Learned this the hard way, thankful nothing broken.)

If anyone has knowledge - I would certainly appreciate help here.
Thanks!

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-13, 05:45 PM
Temporarily Suspended
It looks like there is a square drive screw or something similar in the second pic. If you can remove that you will get to the tensioner. There is a special tool for them. I wonder where mine is.

Old 05-24-13, 06:45 PM
It looks like there is a square drive screw or something similar in the second pic.
The ones that are brass or tan colored?

Those look look like combination Phillips/Robertson drives, aka Quadrex. I know where my bits for those are.

Old 05-24-13, 07:03 PM
Group Moderator
Lets have a pic of the side jamb, on top of the sash, right or left of the locks, with the window closed. I think there is a good chance that these type can only be replaced by uninstalling the window and spreading the frame.

All the bottom picture is, is the bumper cap that stops the travel of the sash as you lift it. this bumper cap simply covers the top screw that holds the spiral balance. Do not remove the top screw that holds the spiral balance to the jamb as it will let the spring tension go and might pinch your fingers. (assuming its still wound.)

Old 05-24-13, 07:29 PM
Temporarily Suspended
That's correct, the tan colored screws. I know where my bit is too.

Old 05-24-13, 08:44 PM
Bottom picture (tan screwhead) is of the top of the tensioner and under EXTREME tension. I already stupidly removed this screw on a different window and almost broke my hand and took out my eye.

Top picture is the actual bottom of the window looking up at it from the floor. I see no moveable pieces. If a "quadrex" screwdriver will turn this and remove the tensioner, where would I be able to get that item?

Pics of side jamb...

Old 05-24-13, 08:47 PM
pictures of side jamb

thanks for helping - this has been so frustrating!

Attached Images   
Old 05-24-13, 08:54 PM
Temporarily Suspended
It's not a screwdriver. It's a T shaped tool that grabs the bottom of the tensioner & spins it. If I can find mine, I'll post a pic.

Old 05-24-13, 09:04 PM
This video shows what I think needs to be done to my windows, however, I don't see any place at the bottom of the window to take the spiral rod out by...nothing to hook it up into. The one window I took the top screw out of...the spiral comes out the bottom but not completely out so I think I haven't gotten it completely "loose" yet because I did it out of order. And since I am not sure how this window set up works, I haven't figured out how to get it apart properly. Hope that convoluted explanation helps...lol.

Window Repair: Replacing a Spiral Window Balance in a non-tilting Window - YouTube

Old 05-24-13, 09:34 PM
Group Moderator
Pulpo is right.. i can see that now that you need the spiral balance tool (google it) that he mentioned to grab the barbs on the end of the spiral balance (btoom pic, bottom of the window sash) and disconnect it from the shoe. Slide the bulb weatherstrip to the side... the tool will fit up into the slot on the sides of the fully raised window. You need to disconnect it at the bottom to relieve tension, unwind it... then close the window and disconnect the top of the balance to remove it. Installation of the new one is the opposite of removal.