Window Screens

Old 06-03-13, 02:45 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Window Screens

Hello all, I need to replace one of my window screens which I don't have anymore. But I know that it used "ram's horn clips" as its hardware. Are these mandatory for my new screen or can I choose to go with another type such as "tension springs".

It is for a vinyl single-hung window.

Also what is a good way of measuring for the width of the window screen? What I did was measure the outer edge of the window sill where the grooves for the screen are, wall to wall. I measured out 45 inches. Should I get the screen smaller or exactly 45 inches in width?

Much appreciated!

Old 06-03-13, 04:54 PM
W
Received 12 Votes on 10 Posts
Hi, If you have other windows that are the same size measure the screen for them.
If you have the same type of window but a different size measure the screen and the window opening and apply the difference to the new screen for the other window.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Old 06-03-13, 05:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 770 Votes on 711 Posts
And you will want to stick with the same type of latch/keeper. Your windows probably have a slot or groove to accept the latch tab.

Old 06-03-13, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I know this is DoItYourself.com but for the retail cost of materials you'll need, plus shipping if they aren't available locally, I'd check around and find a shop that specializes in making screens. Depending on the size...probably less than $25. We have 2 shops that will do it in my little burg.

If you have an example for them to work from..all the better.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: