Window Screens


Old 06-03-13, 02:45 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Window Screens

Hello all, I need to replace one of my window screens which I don't have anymore. But I know that it used "ram's horn clips" as its hardware. Are these mandatory for my new screen or can I choose to go with another type such as "tension springs".

It is for a vinyl single-hung window.

Also what is a good way of measuring for the width of the window screen? What I did was measure the outer edge of the window sill where the grooves for the screen are, wall to wall. I measured out 45 inches. Should I get the screen smaller or exactly 45 inches in width?

Much appreciated!
Old 06-03-13, 04:54 PM
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: San Diego Ca. USA
Posts: 1,070
Received 12 Votes on 10 Posts
Hi, If you have other windows that are the same size measure the screen for them.
If you have the same type of window but a different size measure the screen and the window opening and apply the difference to the new screen for the other window.
Good Luck Woodbutcher
Old 06-03-13, 05:12 PM
XSleeper's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 26,496
Received 770 Votes on 711 Posts
And you will want to stick with the same type of latch/keeper. Your windows probably have a slot or groove to accept the latch tab.
Old 06-03-13, 05:27 PM
Gunguy45's Avatar
Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 21,113
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I know this is but for the retail cost of materials you'll need, plus shipping if they aren't available locally, I'd check around and find a shop that specializes in making screens. Depending on the size...probably less than $25. We have 2 shops that will do it in my little burg.

If you have an example for them to work from..all the better.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: