Double French Door Problem

Old 06-05-13, 01:56 PM
Question Double French Door Problem

Name:  IMG_20130512_201415.jpg
Views: 1635
Size:  17.9 KB

Have a threshold problem at my double french doors. The active door bottom "sweep" is damaged and doesn't seal properly when closed. I'd like to replace this.

Pictures show damaged "sweep" and existing threshold.

Any help is appreciated.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-13, 02:06 PM
That looks more like an interlocking metal weatherstripping than a sweep. You will probably have to remove the door to get into a position to work on it but a few minutes with a screwdriver, putty knife, pliers and hammer and maybe a small nail or two should allow you to bend the metal back into proper position.

Old 06-05-13, 02:14 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. I honestly didn't even think of trying to manipulate it back into place.

Random thought I just had. Is the door installed backwards?

Currently the door swings in. Seems like the weatherstripping should be the opposite way to provide a waterproof seal.

Old 06-05-13, 02:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I believe your threshold is installed backwards. That metal strip is in a v shape originally and should sweep and interlock into the crevasse where all the peanuts are XSleeper will be along shortly for his opinion. Hang in there.

Old 06-05-13, 02:24 PM
The area outside this door is protected from weather so I guess it's never been an issue. (We bought the house last August)

I would guess the whole door is installed backwards, as how can just the threshold be installed backwards? I'm assuming these are meant to be swing out doors, but the previous owner (maybe 2 owners ago) wanted them to swing in. SMH.

edit: and leave my dirty threshold alone.

Old 06-05-13, 02:37 PM
My old French doors were inswing and while it has been too many years since I had them replaced with a slider to remember, I just looked at my front door which has the same interlocking weatherstripping and the threshhold looks just like yours, assuming that picture is from the inside looking out.

Old 06-05-13, 02:42 PM
You are correct. That picture is inside looking out. Interesting. I mean, the interlocking mechanism couldn't be any other way for an inswing. It just seems like it would invite water to come up around the interlocking portion and use the bottom portion of it as a drip edge to drip inside.

Maybe I'm over thinking it.

Either way, I will try to get the beast of the door down and fix the mangled piece on the door. Need to save precious $$ now that A/C is being turned on.

I will take pics when complete and I will also clean the threshold for chandler.

Old 06-05-13, 02:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Pullleeeese!!! All in jest, you know.

Old 06-05-13, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator
Pretty easy way to tell if it's installed backwards. Can you drive the hinge pins out (assuming no fancy adjustable hinges)? If you can, it's an inswing door.

Could be there are weep holes in threshold to allow the small amount of water it may get to escape.

Inswing doors are much more common than outswing. I can think of a few situations where people would reverse the door...but I can't imagine doing it myself.

Old 06-05-13, 06:09 PM
Group Moderator
LOL, I love it.

The mangled piece on the bottom of the door is one half of the interlocking aluminum threshold. The half on the bottom of the door probably has a hundred nails in it, every inch or so. It does look like it interlocks... or at least used to, with the threshold, and the dirt there certainly isn't helping any, so it will be good to clean it out. Don't worry about the peanuts Larry, I already sucked all the chocolate off of them.

Can't be sure without measurements, but this might be the piece that's mangled on the door bottom.

Old 06-13-13, 07:17 AM
Thanks for all the help guys. I plan on getting this resolved this weekend. Don't have as much free time with a 2 week old as I had assumed I would. I am going to try to manipulate it back into place and just nail it in place. If that doesn't work, I'll try to cut a piece off and get some measurements to be able to order the correct replacement part.

On another note, this door also has a TON of scratches on the outside and some minor on the inside from a rottweiler who was left outside all the time by the previous owner. I want to fill and paint. Deepest is probably 1/4" maybe 3/8". I plan on sanding it, acetone, wood filler, sand entire door and repaint with some nice exterior grade paint.

I'm looking for suggestions for the filler and paint.

Thanks again for all your help.

Old 06-13-13, 11:25 AM
When it comes to wood filler I prefer Famowood. It is not as readily available as Plastic Wood but it does have a bit longer "open" time, meaning it doesn't dry out quite so fast. I think it is more likely available at a real paint store than in any big box homecenter. I have only used the solvent-based product.

FW SB Wood Filler 050307

Old 06-17-13, 10:15 AM
XSleeper, those dims are approximately correct. I was able to remove it this weekend and attempted to fix it.

I got it to 90% but I think it's the best I'm going to be able to do. I believe the door frame is not square or plumb and so the doors don't sit correct in the entire frame. It's sealed pretty well but I had to actually shave a bit off one end of the door to get the bottom interlocking aluminum piece at the correct height. Even then, it's not perfect but a lot better than it was.

Best part is...the inactive door has nothing on the bottom of the door. It is so tight to the threshold they didn't bother installing the piece on the bottom of the door. I'm nto sure where it is, but I'd like to get one as there is some spots of daylight. I may just go buy a rubber one and put it on there to seal it from air. As I previously stated, this door isn't exposed to water, so I'm just looking to reduce energy loss as best I can.

I also applied PlasticWood to most of the scratched areas after sanding them down. I haven't sanded it down yet, but seems like it should clean up pretty nice. Thanks for all the help.

Old 06-17-13, 07:48 PM
Group Moderator
Sounds good. I should have thought to recommend removing the weatherstrip, then checking the door itself to determine whether or not the door might need to be planed slightly on one end or the other to keep it from dragging. But you figured that out on your own... nice job!