door not sealed correctly

Old 06-05-13, 03:02 PM
door not sealed correctly

so, my front door has a a big gap on the bottom side, it looks like the board on the door itself is worn out, not the frame, I'm attaching a picture.

Name:  Screen Shot 2013-06-05 at 5.01.04 PM.jpg
Views: 683
Size:  6.3 KB

Should I just replace the door? It's in good shape otherwise, is this enough to warrant a replacement, or is there a way to repair it? bugs and all sorts of things are getting in!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-13, 03:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums Jed!

How about a pic with the door open - the fix might be as simple as adding new weatherstripping.

Old 06-05-13, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator
I agree...replacing the weatherstripping or adding a little wedge shaped seal (included with all new doors and normally available separately if you ask around) will probably fix the issue.

Old 06-05-13, 04:01 PM
841007 Endura Adhesive L-Shaped Corner Pad Wedge with Lip - Bronze All About Doors and Windows, Parts and Hardware

I found this link Jed that shows the wedge shaped seal. I don't endorse allaboutdoors.com but it gives you a reference. It looks like a good option for your door.

Old 06-05-13, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator
Good link brockalocka...slightly different from the ones I've seen, but even better I think.

Old 06-05-13, 08:27 PM
When I followed that link I saw what looked like weatherstripping that's mounted against the jamb. Nothing about the bottom of a door or a threshold. Am I missing something?

Jed, you might install an interior sweep as a temporary fix. Clear pictures will help us focus our answers better.