PVC Window leak

Old 06-06-13, 10:52 AM
PVC Window leak

Hello all,

I have just put some new PVC windows(a team not me personally) but apparently the window doesn't meet with the frame perfectly and there is a gap between the window and the rubber gasket that surrounds the frame. I have made a video so that you understand what I mean and hopefully you can give me some advice about what I can do. The window can be adjusted horizontally and vertically, but I don't think it will help.

Please check out the video explaining my problem.

Window leak problem - YouTube

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-13, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator
Well...the vid was some help. Would have helped to see a window that doesn't have the issue. And a little less camera movement as well. Anyway...

You need to have the latches installed, they should pull the window pretty tight to the frame. It does look like the side seal is too short...that will always be an issue.

Since the job is still in progress, your first contact should be with the company that did the install..they didn't say it's complete did they?

Old 06-06-13, 11:25 AM
Name:  IMG_20130606_211641.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  23.4 KB

So this is how the other window connects to the frame and the one with the handle connects to this one, so those red bolts are the only thing connecting the two windows to the frame. Regrading the ones that installed it, they said they were finished. My building is being thermally isolated from the outside so the job of the guys that mounted the windows is considered to be done.

This is not a problem of just this window, but is a problem of all of the windows they installed (like 5 of them).

Attached Images  
Old 06-06-13, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator
Ahhhh I think I understand now. I thought these were casement type windows that cranked open and had locking latches. I don't think I've ever seen that style that just swing open.

Not sure how it works there...but if the customer isn't happy...the company will at least listen and address concerns if possible. I'm guessing they have already been paid? If they are a sub-contractor of some sort...then you need to address your concerns to the general contractor for the whole project, if you have one.

I couldn't really see the exact gap you were talking about...no sound on my PC right now, so if you explained it I couldn't hear it.

Looks like it's dark now, but possibly a still shot with some object in the gap when it's light?

I still think the seal is incorrect with that big gap between the bottom and side. When closed, any window should provide a seal against normal water and air infiltration. That one in the pic sure won't.

Search this Thread