Andersen window and screen door

Old 06-06-13, 05:54 PM
Andersen window and screen door

I'm looking for a replacement Andersen window and screen sliding door. I am having a hard time locating it online except at homedepot.com for $292. Here is the link : Andersen 400 Series Casement Windows, 28-3/8 in. x 48 in., White, with LowE4 Insulated Glass-CW14 R at The Home Depot

It looks like that window but the measurements on the glass are 55" x 20". Is it possible to replace just the inside glass? It looks like it pops right off. Where can I order one of these windows/glass?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-13, 06:00 PM
Look in your local yellow pages under "Glass". They'll come out and look at it, measure it, make them up, come back a couple of weeks later, and install them. If it's an insulated glass, which I assume it is since you say it's the inside glass, then you do not replace just the inside pane. They make up a new insulated unit, then come out and install it.

Old 06-06-13, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator
I really don't understand your post..."replacement Andersen window and screen sliding door". Is it a window or a door..is it the glass or a screen? What you linked is not even close to the right size and is an entire window..not just the glass. 55 x 20 is a darn big window...but sounds about right for a french door. What do you have?

You need to get the info off the etched logo in the corner of the glass. That will determine the type of glass and age of the window. If you call or email Andersen they can guide you to determining what glass you need. If you or a friend is handy, you can DIY.

Otherwise, a glass shop is a good option, but be advised..if they don't know what they are doing they will use generic parts and it may not be to your liking.

Often a replacement IGU (insulated glass unit) from the manufacturer can be cheaper than a custom size from a glass shop. They make thousands of them, all they have to do is pull one out of stock and ship it. You still need someone to install it. If this is a relatively new window..I'd suggest an Andersen authorized company to keep your warranty intact.

What exactly is wrong that it needs replacing?

Old 06-06-13, 06:39 PM
It is a double glass window. The inside glass is broken. Sorry wasn't more specific. The size of the glass is 55" tall and 20" wide. The mark on the bottom right of the window reads "c16-1 3-93 Andersen High Performance 16ccr cba igmac". My question is, is there anywhere online where I could order such a replacement window or the glass? I also need an Andersen screen, but am mostly worried about the window.

Old 06-06-13, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator
Ok...made in March 1993. Pretty old.

Online..doubtful, unless you go through Andersen. I'd still contact them to get the specifics on the glass specs and a price.

The screen can be had from many places...but if its a standard window from that time..Andersen is good quality and reasonable if you order through HD or a local building material company that handles Andersen. You might be able to also order the glass...but you need someone to do the install. Andersen has re-glazing instruction on their website if you search.

Since it's out of warranty, I'd contact them for specifics on the glass specs...then call a local company about repair.

You can plan on about $500 or so for the glass repair, I would imagine. Screen would be about $30-40 IIRC...but it's been 5 years since I priced them.

Old 06-06-13, 08:36 PM
Group Moderator
No you can't replace just the inside pane of glass, unless you're talking about some removable inside single pane storm panel that some Andersen windows used to have in place of the screen.

I would probably make a suggestion similar to Vic. Go through a box store like HD to order what you need. But if you would like to DIY, rather than getting just the glass, ask for the entire sash. It's MUCH easier to replace the entire sash (with the glass already in it) than it is to try and replace just the glass. When you go to replace the glass, it's likely that the brittle exterior glazing stops will break, and the last set I got cost $100 and took another month to arrive.

So do yourself a favor and get a complete replacement sash through Home Depot. It will be special order and Andersen products cost an arm and a leg, so don' faint when you get the price. If they can't do it, you can always fall back on Andersen's own service website.

They will likely want to figure out the exact size and model number of window you have, so I believe you will want to take exterior measurements of the overall frame of the window, where it meets the trim/siding on all 4 sides. And window measurements are expressed as width x height, not the other way around. So for example, the casement you linked to is 28-3/8 in. x 48 in, not 48 x 28 3/8. If you wanted to post the exterior size of the frame, one of us might be able to find the model # in a catalog for you.