Front Door Binding......

Old 06-10-13, 02:24 PM
Front Door Binding......

I'm having problems with my front door binding and the kids aren't able to get it open. Its a thumb latch and they don't have the strength to push it down because of the binding and when it does open, it really "pops". I cannot figure out where its binding. I recently stripped and refinished the door and noted that the top hinge was a little loose, so I replaced all the screws with 1/2" longer ones and put a toothpick in each hole to tighten them up. It did snug up the hinge but the door is still binding. I can't find anywhere that its being rubbed so that I know where its binding.

Its the original door on a house that was built in 1926. I believe its made of maple. It has copper "flashing" all the way around the jam and I don't see anywhere that it might be causing the problem. Because of the arched shape of the door, I can't really use a square to check the door and opening for square.

Suggestions?!?!?

Thanks!
Chris

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  32.8 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-13, 03:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
One question, Chris, was it binding before you refinished it? If you close it really slow, can you detect any part of the door that hits prematurely on the hinge side of the door?

Oh, very stately looking door, I might add. Are those Christmas lights or remnants of ivy? Curious.

Old 06-10-13, 05:06 PM
No...the binding isn't anything new, but it gets worse in summer, which is expected.

Its some sort of decorative vine that my wife got at Michael's, it has little "berries" on it (that the kids like to pull off!)

I don't detect anywhere that the binding might be taking place. I have opened it and closed it a thousand times recently trying to figure it out. I start to get resistance just as the latch side of the door starts to reach the jam.

Thanks!
Chris

Old 06-10-13, 06:16 PM
Group Moderator
You should be able to figure out where it is binding if you take a 3x5 index card or a business card, open the door, insert the card into the gap, then close the door. You should be able to easily pull the card out without any trouble.

Try that all the way around the door and see if you can figure out where it's tight. It could even be on the hinge side... if the hinge side doesn't have a gap, it will force the door tight at the latch side as the door closes. So check the entire perimeter.

I would guess that maybe the refinishing is making the door stick to the copper fin weatherstripping. Clean the weatherstrip off with some paint thinner and sand the edges of the door with 120 grit to rough it up a little bit, to identify any high spots and then remove any runs that you got on the door edges.