Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

What is the best tool to cut back expanding foam?

Old 06-18-13, 05:59 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

I recently covered the hole where a cat flap had been in my front door by screwing two aluminium plates on to either side of the door and filling the hole in between with Expanding Foam. The foam expanded just slightly too much (I must have marginally overfilled) which has caused the aluminium sheets to bulge slightly.

My question - if I temporarily remove the sheets to cut the foam back plush with the door, what is the best tool to use? I hear it's pretty tough stuff and also I don't want to remove the door when doing it.

FYI - I used this from: No Nonsense Fire Rated Expanding Foam Gun Grade 750ml | Screwfix.com

Many thanks in advance.

James

Old 06-18-13, 07:11 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hacksaw blade with the ends slightly bent to give you something to grip. Might scratch the door slightly, but you could put tape on the door to prevent that.

Old 06-18-13, 07:12 AM
T
I'm not familiar with that foam but I would try a handsaw. It should be long enough to bridge across the hole. Flex it and push it flat against the door surface and tape some cardboard to protect the paint from scratches.

Old 06-19-13, 03:23 AM
W
Great - thanks guys! I'll report back on how effective the saw is!

Old 06-19-13, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Wasn't even thinking right. Could just use a hacksaw and turn the blade 90 degrees on the frame....I think they all allow you to do that?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: