window clear opening!

Old 06-21-13, 12:29 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
window clear opening!

not really sure if this is the right place for this question but did not see a section listing windows! anyway, is there a simple way to figure out the clear opening for a window for a new project? I need to know since it will be for 2nd fl bedroom and must meet egress requirements. i've looked at all the websites for the major manufacturers and they list rough openings etc but not clear area that I can see! i just done want to put in windows that are bigger than they need to be. thx!

Old 06-21-13, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Most every manufacturer will say if they meet egress...but it's normally just a little asterisk with a note at the bottom.

Anyway...you need 5.7 SF of clear opening with minimums of 24" height and 20" width. So a 24" tall window that was 6ft wide would be ok, or 20" wide and 6ft tall would pass. I just used 6 ft cause I'm too lazy to do the calculations.

Double or single hung windows will normally be slightly less than half of the lower sash dimension. Casements can meet code but you may need the egress hardware for smaller ones.

Good description here...Egress windows: understanding

Old 06-24-13, 06:52 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
An Anderson CX135 meets egress regulations.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: