Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Double hung window gap

Forum Topic Moderator

WA

06-28-13, 07:24 AM   #1  
Double hung window gap

I am re-trimming my windows on the exterior. They are double hung windows with new vinyl windows installed inside the old frame. The old window frames are 1 inch thick. I would like to fill the 2 inch gap between the 2x4 studs and the 1 inch window frame with regular foam insulation. Will that cause the 1 inch frame to bow or should I use the low expanding foam? I like using the regular foam, it is cheaper and I think does a better job.

Mike
Retired Real Estate Broker
Home Remodeler
Do it Yourselfer

Sponsored Links
Super Moderator

AZ

06-28-13, 07:58 AM   #2  
I'd use window and door foam. Great Stuff makes one, but I like the DAP for the easier cleanup.

If you are very careful...the regular foam could be used...just don't try and fill the gap all at once.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

MD

06-28-13, 10:43 PM   #3  
You shouldn't use any of the regular foams. Expanding or low expanding cure to a rigid block and will bow the wood. Use the foam designed for window and door insulating or cut strips of insulation and loosely fill the void.

VA

06-28-13, 11:10 PM   #4  
I would install a high density insulation such as Roxul in the empty weight channels. Vapor barrier installed over it on the interior. It's great insulation and easy to remove later.

Search this Thread