Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Dual pane window replacement advice needed, please

OR

07-08-13, 02:19 PM   #1  
Dual pane window replacement advice needed, please

Did a search and did not see specific info I think I need.

Our 1993 stationary kitchen window has slid sideways about a 1/2 inch or so and I think the seal gave way......as I see tiny bugs between the two panes. It is about 19"x55", tempered glass.

From calling around, it seems the new glass would have a desiccant inside, not argon gas. It sounds like argon can be installed if needed. Maybe at an extra cost and a longer time frame. Which is best?

From reading around, it seems double low E coating is much better than plain, old low E coating. True?

Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Super Moderator

AZ

07-08-13, 02:34 PM   #2  
I believe all IGU (insulated glass unit) have a desiccant, though possibly not if filled with a dry inert gas. Yes, it is available as extra cost. At least some specific blend will be...argon, krypton, nitrogen...something.

I'm not sure about "double LoE"...I know of soft coating and hard coating. I guess they mean that it's applied to either one of the inner surfaces or both.

Check here and look at "How does it work" for a better explanation. What is Low E Glass?

Will depend on what you want to accomplish. Where I live I want heat kept out in summer.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

MN

07-08-13, 02:39 PM   #3  
Call a glass company and they will measure and give you a price. Usually is installed or there will be no guarantee on the glass panel.

A desiccant is OK. The other items (bells and whistles for glamor) really offer little cost benefits since it is just a dual glass panel filling a hole in the wall. Whatever yo do it still will not be appreciably better than an uninsulated concrete block.

Dick

Group Moderator

NE

07-08-13, 05:01 PM   #4  
The other items (bells and whistles for glamor) really offer little cost benefits
While the "cost" benefits may be small the difference in glass temperature and condensation are huge.

If you have a clear glass IGU with a poor u-factor of say .45, the glass temperature might be 45F on a cold winter day. But if you invest in a LowE2 argon filled IGU, or a triple paned LowE product, the u-factor might be .25 or better, and would be warmer than the other one... maybe 52F. Those 7 may not seem like much but it can be the difference between having a dry window and one that's fogged up and sweating inside.

You may not get the $$$ spent back in energy savings, but it is saving energy and having a window that doesn't sweat is pretty important to most people. I'd say it's the number one complaint in the window forum in the wintertime.

So I always tell people to buy the best glass they can afford.

Search this Thread