Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

New Plastpro Doors: With or Without the Poly-Fiber Frames?

CAL

07-31-13, 01:31 PM   #1  
New Plastpro Doors: With or Without the Poly-Fiber Frames?

We need new front and back doors on the cottage we bought a few months ago. I've had two different companies come out to give us a quote for Plastpro fiberglass doors.

The first guy gave us a quote for just doors--using the existing frames (which I guess are in good enough condition to keep).

The second guy gave us a quote for the same doors--but with Plastpros "PF Frames(tm)"--a poly-fiber integrated frame. (Here's some info on those: http://www.plastproinc.com/_pdfs/2012%20PF%20Frame.pdf)

The door/frame combo is more than twice as costly--but interestingly, the two quotes are within $300 of each other--primarily I think because there's less labor involved in installing the door/frame unit? (Two guys for two days for the door-only install vs one guy for one day for the door/PF frame install.)

Not knowing anything more about it, it seems logical to assume that the door/PF frame combo is the way to go, isn't it--especially since the final cost is fairly close? Wouldn't that make for a much better/tighter fit than putting JUST a new door into an existing frame?

Or is this one of those counter intuitive things?

Sponsored Links
Super Moderator

AZ

07-31-13, 02:35 PM   #2  
Go with the entire replacement...just make sure the space between the door frame and house framing is properly insulated and weatherproofed. Also...don't let the second guy run up the charges for "unforeseen problems". He's a contractor he should know what to expect in most cases.

And yes, you are correct that it's easier and faster to install a pre-hung door than just slabs. The outcome is normally better and if warranty issues arise with the product, less of a hassle.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

Search this Thread