Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Can you identify this missing window latch (pic)?

Old 07-31-13, 06:46 PM

I've got a horizontally sliding window in my house that has a missing latch/lock. I cant even imagine what style of latch its supposed to be. Perhaps from this photo you can tell. If turn that little nub it catches a lock of some sort and then pops out. If you can maybe show me a link of what its supposed to look like, I'll measure out for the right fit and all but I dont even know where to start. Thank you!

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-13, 06:17 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Look in the bottom right hand side of the glass in the window to see if there's an etch company name.
Sometimes there's something on the outsides of the frame of the sashes to help ID it.
Tried Goggling "sliding window parts"?
No other window in the house like this one?

Old 08-01-13, 07:30 AM
Good idea, thank you. Ill try to find the manufacturer. Nope this is the only window of this type in the house - its a much bigger window than the rest. I did actually try googling and looking at images of parts, but the problem is - i dont even know what this part will look like - i only know what i can see. Not sure if its a latch, a thumb switch, a handle, a lever, etc.

Old 08-01-13, 05:14 PM
Group Moderator
How about a picture from farther back? And one with the "nub" in the popped out position. Should the picture above be rotated 90? That's the bottom, right? Is there anything similar on the top?

Old 08-01-13, 05:52 PM
No this picture is right side up. Its a window that slides horizontally. I looked closer, That nub that sticks out actually when you push it straight down it is a very long pin that comes out the bottom of the window and goes into a hole in the frame. I think something was connected to the round part and maybe snapped off. Its an Andersen window, and there are some numbers which dont do anything for me googling. I browsed Andersen's parts for glider windows, but I dont see anything that I can figure out looks right.

Old 08-01-13, 10:04 PM
Group Moderator
Probably something along these lines... 1 Hole - All About Doors and Windows, Parts and Hardware

You could submit a photo to them and maybe they could help you identify the parts you need. It's obviously some sort of lever/latch to bolt the window shut. Could be Andersen American Craftsman or Silverline, hard to say which.

You could also submit the photo to the service dept. at Andersen's website. They are usually pretty good about servicing their products. Not sure about their vinyl lines, since vinyl windows come and go.

Old 08-02-13, 11:30 AM
Thanks for your help, i took your advice and sent the photo to Andersen and they were able to point me to the correct parts.

Shop Andersen Gliding Window Lock Handle (Left Hand) 1760012 at WindowParts.com

Shop Andersen Gliding Window Lock Housing (Left Hand) 1760004 at WindowParts.com

Old 08-02-13, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator
Once I saw they were Andersen...I was going to suggest the same thing, if it hadn't already been done. That's another reason why I like them, I've always found their tech support to be the best. I guess that's part of being a large private corporation....people enjoy the job and stay for long periods. They aren't just reading out of some tabbed notebook when they try to help you, they KNOW what they are talking about.