issues with exterior door install

Old 08-07-13, 08:52 AM
issues with exterior door install

I installed a new exterior door and enlarged it from a 31.5 inch to a 36 inch door. The door is in header was installed however I have a large amount of light coming from the seal, the bottom of the door isnt closing all the way. Im not certain what could be causing this, it is my first door install ever. The door is not plumb, however it is plumb to the exterior walls but the exterior walls in this house are not plumb either. So to make it line up with the interior walls, I had to push the top of the door towards the exterior of the house. Any ideas? Do I have to make the door level?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-13, 09:55 AM
Group Moderator
Pictures may help us help you. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/li...-pictures.html

Old 08-07-13, 03:38 PM
Group Moderator
Doors almost always need to be installed level and plumb in order to operate correctly. That means installing them plumb (perfectly vertical) in both directions.... not leaning left or right... not leaning in or out. You shim the door within the rough opening to accomplish this. Before the door is set in place, you should determine if the sill that the door sets on is perfectly level. If it's not, you usually want to lay shims (set the shims maybe 8" on center... in 3 locations to give good support) on the sill to level the bottom of the rough opening, then run a heavy bead of sealant on top of the shims, and carefully set the door on top of the bead of sealant, so that neither air or water can come underneath the prehung door sill.

Old 08-07-13, 03:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sometimes you need to get creative with the trim on the outside to make the door operate correctly. If this was a prehung door with brick molding already attached, remove the brick molding and set the door according to X's recommendations. Once the door operated correctly, then worry about how to trim it out on the inside/outside. The easiest is to fill any gaps with caulking. but the more adventurous with the proper tools will custom cut the molding to fit the profile of the siding on the building.

Old 08-07-13, 04:12 PM
Group Moderator
You don't necessarily need to remove the brickmoulding, but you definitely don't want to use it like a nailing fin if the wall is out of whack. Rather than the brickmould being the ONLY thing holding the door, secure the door through the jamb with 3" long screws, shim behind the brickmould as needed. If taking the brickmould off makes it easier, go for it.

Tapers like czizzi mentions are a lot easier if you have a table saw and a steady hand. (with all the fingers still on it).

Old 08-07-13, 04:41 PM
I guess I need to re level the door. Like I said it is leaning a bit towards the outside on the top, so it would be even with the exterior wall. I guess that will be another fun task with the molding around the door since it will have to be uneven.