Install windows first, or do other repairs?

Old 08-08-13, 07:04 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Install windows first, or do other repairs?

Hello, I am needing to do a lot of repairs on my home that I purchased a while back. I noticed that a couple of my wooden windows are rotting some at the sill and bottom of the frames. I repaired these the best I could for now with a wood filler for a temporary fix to prevent further damage, as I planned on replacing all of the windows. I also notcied where the previous owner did an abolutely poor drywall taping and mudding job in the kitchen in places and around a bay window. I was planning on having a contractor that specializes in drywall repair and interior painting come in and do this work for me, because the work required is way beyond my skillset.

In what order should I have the repairs done first, window then drywall and painting? Or vice versa? I am not for sure in order I should go when remodeling

Old 08-08-13, 07:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 901 Votes on 827 Posts
As a window guy, I'd definitely suggest you do the windows first. Sometimes when you change windows, the old trim may not cover the old paint lines, due to the 2 windows not being exactly the same, and on a few jobs you need a little drywall work around the perimeter. After the windows are in, you could then do the drywall and paint. And if you plan to change any trim anywhere else in the house... do that before you drywall and paint as well.

Old 08-09-13, 03:59 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
I agree - painting is almost always the last thing you want done.

Drywall repair [and painting] isn't all that difficult. We can guide you thru it if you have the time and inclination to diy.

Old 08-09-13, 08:30 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
When replacing windows you may discover hidden damage that necessitates some framing repair. As stated, save the drywall and painting for last.

Bud

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: