Windows for 2x6 wall new construction

Old 08-09-13, 01:40 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Windows for 2x6 wall new construction

I just came back from a big box store looking for suitable windows for a new house that I am building. After looking, I am confused about what to buy.

The house is a farm style with wide covered porches, and I live in central Kansas where the weather is moderate. The issue arises out of the fact that I will be trimming out the inside of the house with solid oak. Every door and window, including the wide sills in the 2x6 walls will be trimmed in oak. I want good quality windows, but they all seem to come with integrated sills that would be hard to match with my oak. There is also the issue that my sills will be wider than standard.

I want maintenance free exterior finish on the windows, which means vinyl or fiberglass. All windows will be either fixed or casement.

My question is am I looking at surface mount vinyl or fiberglass windows that have no interior wood, so that I can add my own oak trim on all four sides? It would seem yes, unless I am missing something. Do you have some suggestions on good quality surface mount windows?

Regards,
Chuck

Old 08-09-13, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
You got it. You'll need to order them without any wooden jambs. Or if you go good quality, you can order the extension jambs in many species already cut to the width and length you need for each window. They can come loose or they can be factory attached for an additional fee.... If you are sure of the depth you need, it can be a real time saver to have them attached. No need to get everything shimmed just perfect before nailing. You'll have to do a cost comparison to determine if it is worth it to you.

Old 08-09-13, 02:35 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
#1 Last place I would be looking for windows is a Box store.
Contact a real Anderson or Marvin Window distributor.
Any real lumber yard should be able to help you.

Old 08-09-13, 06:03 PM
F
Thanks for the replies. I have Anderson windows in my present home, and will look at a real window seller for my new house.

Chuck

Old 08-09-13, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Just to let you know...if you find a good person that knows what they are selling at a big box...sometimes you can get a better price. They sell so many nationwide, they can get a good discount.

The stand alone factory stores are normally very high. Builders supply stores are a good option.

Full disclosure...I worked at a orange box and I knew WTH I was selling.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: