Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Looking for the Right Product to Stain New Windows

CO

08-17-13, 12:13 PM   #1  
Looking for the Right Product to Stain New Windows

I have a house full of new windows (wood frame, aluminum clad exterior) that need to have the wood finished on the interior. I live in Colorado and the intense sun here seems to be too much for any type of varnish that I have tried. The latest was Varathane Polyurethane and I have had to reapply this every year to keep it from peeling. I have decided that this is too much work and am considering simply staining the windows with a natural stain - no varnish - to reduce the maintenance.

Do you have any tips on how to best finish a wood window that is subject to intense sun? What products do you recommend? Please, I do not want to spend my life working on these windows. I have a lot of windows!!

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

08-18-13, 03:33 AM   #2  
Stain alone won't protect the wood on your windows. A spar urethane like Minwax's Helmsman might give better results. You might also check into some of the new waterborne polys, I'm not that familiar with them but they might hold up better.

How many coats of poly have you been applying to the wood? While I don't have any painting experience in colorado I used to paint in fla which also has intense sunlight. Generally 3 coats of poly/varnish does a good job with only the flat part of the sash and sill needing a light sanding and recoat every few yrs.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Group Moderator

NE

08-18-13, 07:17 AM   #3  
Is it peeling where it meets the glass? (wet wood from condensation in the winter) Or is it actually peeling because of the sun.

Group Moderator

WI

08-19-13, 09:23 AM   #4  
Are you scuff sanding between coats of poly? The layers can peel apart if you do not.

Search this Thread