Looking for some new windows need input

Old 08-23-13, 07:08 AM
Looking for some new windows need input

I need to replace two double hung windows in my bedroom. Both broke. there anderson 400 serice wood windows. Date on them is 1999.

Somebody did not just do replacement windows. they replaced the whole frame and everything.

So my question is what is the best wood out there right now. Looking for alum/vin. out side and wood inside. I would think replacement windows would be fine.

I like the Pella windows, they where the 750 or the 850 serice, double pain with low e on both glasses, or tripple pain. Not shore in a wood window if it will be saving much more for the tripple.

Or should I stay with the anderson and get the 400 serice?

I'm looking for the most and best energy efficient wood window but that will not be crazy $$$$$$

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-13, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator
What do you mean by "Both broke"? Almost anything on a 1999 400 series would still be available either from Andersen direct or aftermarket. Any repair would almost certainly be cheaper than replacement of an entire new construction style window.

I would never replace an Andersen with any vinyl replacement window and I personally don't like Pella, but am not familiar with those models you listed. Looks like they are their high end models?

Old 08-23-13, 09:58 AM
One, my wife opened and all the glass just cracked.

The other one will not move up or down.

No I do not want vinyl replacement windows. I want to stay with the wood once. You can get wood replacement windows.

As for my 400s, I know they do not have the low e glass in then. Plus over this last winter I saw water on the inside of the glass. Is that a sign of them going?

Why don't you like Pella? Yes they are there top models.

Old 08-23-13, 11:39 AM
Find an Andersen dealer that carries their top-end "A-Series" windows. They're a composite outside half bonded to a solid wood inside half. Best of both worlds. They do cost more but if you DIY the install you might find the $ difference not too bad--esp. compared with Pella's best.

Old 08-23-13, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator
You can order new sashes or just the glass for 400's, much cheaper and simpler than replacing a whole window. You can just tilt the sash in and remove it, install the new. If there is water inside a otherwise undamaged sash, then that's seal failure and is covered under warranty (20 yrs on seal failure). As to why the one won't move...many reasons possible, all easily fixed.

I can't imagine going to all the trouble and expense to completely replace the windows for the problems you describe. Yours are already vinyl clad, correct? Simple sash replacement or re-glazing if they in otherwise good shape seems the most logical approach.

You can call Andersen and ask for a service call, which may cost initially, and they can look at all the issues in person. I'd guess you were planning to pay someone to replace the windows anyway?

I've seen more issues with Pella clad windows than any other. I don't know what model they were but they weren't the cheapies sold in big box stores. These were in high end designer homes.

Old 08-26-13, 08:57 AM
Ok thanks. made a call and had a guy come out to look. fixed the one window. the spring cane out. no change. I can replace the glass in those windows. I was told there Yhe basic 400 wood windows. double pane glass, no gas or low e glass. so having it replace with low e and gas between the pains. like 300 total. nit bad at all. thought I was going to drop 2k.

Old 08-27-13, 06:35 PM
window brands

I would not buy pella brand. I bought two Pella windows for my daughter's room a few years ago and was not impresses with the quality, especially how they slide up/down. Feels cheap, compared to Pellas I bought 15 years ago for my old house.

Simington is a good brand and also Cardinal. If you're on a budget, I suggest purchasing HD American Craftsman and buying one or two levels above the basic builder grade.

Old 08-27-13, 08:36 PM
If these are a vinyl clad window. before you buy parts for them. go outside and give the window sill a good squeeze and the same for where the side jamb meets the sill. If it flexes, it is rotten behind the vinyl cladding. I would then replace the whole window unit.

Old 08-29-13, 06:38 AM
I am curious that the windows cracked when the wife tried to open it. A friend of mine encountered the same thing and found out his windows were fitted too tightly into the opening.

Old 08-29-13, 12:46 PM
ok thanks on the Pella info

Ok I will check that out, thanks.

Yes they are tight. the guy said man these are tight in here. There very hard to slide up and down. Well What I mean is they do go up and down fine but you have to push or pull them and they seek. No idea why there so tight. because
somebody did full windows replacements.

If I change all the glass to low e and gas filled from what I have now would I see a differents?

Old 08-30-13, 06:52 PM
Some times the windows are installed and someone uses expanding foam to fill the void around the window. It expands, bowing the window frame and making the window very tight to operate. You could lube the windows to see if that would help. I use a candle(wax) or a bar of white soap and wipe it along the window jamb where the sash would rub. Do not use a spray lube (WD 40).
The windows are probably low-e all ready. The difference between low-e and low-e with argon or some other gas will most likely only be seen in your wallet when you pay for then.