Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

How Do I Remove The Security Bar From My Window?

Old 08-25-13, 09:33 AM

Hello all,

My apartment windows have this security bar that prevents the window from opening fully. It only opens about 6 inches right now. The leasing office said I could take the bar out, but they just can't do it for me due to some old law. So, I'm wondering how I would get these things out. I'm guessing I need to find a tool that fits the circle screw head in the pictures, but I don't know what kind of drill bit that is. I have an electric drill and full drill bit set, but nothing that fits that odd screw. I'm guessing it's an odd screw for a reason - they probably don't want you to take it out. Anyone ever seen anything like this? Any advice is really appreciated!

Name:  20130811_111313.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  18.8 KB

Name:  20130811_111323.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  21.6 KB

Name:  20130811_111337.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  24.3 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-13, 10:44 AM
Group Moderator
I don't see how those bars could be compliant with fire code as they surely violate fire and safety egress code. I'd suggest you have another talk with management and ask what specific law requires them. You might also want to talk to the City Fire Marshal or equivalent office about this.

Old 08-25-13, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator
Thumbs up Welcome to our forums!

That is a pin type security screw.
You need a security screwdriver with the correct bit to remove it..........they are available in a multi-bit style screwdriver.

You could purchase one or ask the landlord if you can borrow theirs to remove it yourself.