Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Jeld wen vinyl windows

IL

08-30-13, 12:34 PM   #1  
Jeld wen vinyl windows

I installed jeld wen vinyl sliding windows in my garage.I'm reading a lot of reports about leaking windows and weep holes that don't let water out.Are jeld wen vinyl sliding windows as good as any others? I do know that the ones I installed seemed to have water in the window track after one storm.As you know we haven't had much rain this summer in the Midwest. If these windows have a problem with weep holes how do I get them to open up and drain. I guess you get what your pay for and these were pretty cheap. Any opinions or facts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

08-30-13, 01:37 PM   #2  
I've never had a problem with Jeld Wen sliders and drainage via the weeps. Now, it is possible if you have trees overhanging the area, the track may get crud in it, occluding the weep, but if you keep things clean, I don't see a problem. The ones we installed a couple of summers back for a client are still moving as smoothly as they did when we installed them.

Group Moderator

NE

08-30-13, 04:53 PM   #3  
Yes, keeping them clean on the bottom is necessary. The weep system can get plugged on any vinyl window if you don't keep them clean. Dead flies are one of the big culprits. Some standing water after a rain is normal, they don't drain to the weep hole like a gutter would unless someone installed them out of level.

MD

08-30-13, 07:04 PM   #4  
They all use the same construction ideas. Looking at the window, the lip on the inside is the tallest so water, being water, will flow over the lower lip if the water should become high enough to do so and the water that remains below the lip will drain through the weep holes. Quite often there is some water remaining that will eventually evaporate. As with all sliding windows, if it's raining and blowing just the right way, water can come into the house.

IL

09-01-13, 06:27 PM   #5  
jeld wen windows experiences

I installed 4 jeld wen windows with weep holes and I end up with water in the channels for hours.I have one 36 inch that I haven't installed yet with no weep holes at all that I can see.I can't even see any kind of area that isn't cleaned out. I think i'll take the 36 inch back.I'm not expecting much for the price but the others that I have in have them even though they may not drain properly. Just my thoughts.Thanks.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

09-02-13, 05:35 AM   #6  
No weeps??? Just make sure the window isn't upside down Yeah, I'd exchange it for one like what you have with the weep holes. Never heard of one that had a channel with out the holes.

Search this Thread