Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

DIY Sound Proof Door

CAL

09-06-13, 04:06 PM   #1  
DIY Sound Proof Door

Hello:

I would like to build a sound proof door for a cement opening in my room.

The cement opening is w38" x h 81.1" x 7.2" deep. *Please, see pictures included.

The sound proof door will be made of two 1 3/8" HDF boards with 2" padding of rockwool in between.

1. What size should the door be (given the materials and the size of the hole)?
2. What kind of frame (door jamb) should be built for it?
3. Should the door be anchored, instead, directly to the wall?
4. What kind of screws/hardware is needed for this type of REAL heavy door?

Any other suggestion, observations will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,
Lorenzo

Attachment 17355Attachment 17356

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

09-06-13, 04:23 PM   #2  
Lorenzo, welcome to the forums! Whew! OK, basic door building. Don't make it any heavier than your frame can handle. Don't make it thicker than your door hardware can span. And mostly, don't tell us it is because you play music loud and you don't want it to bother your parents

You have to understand the physics of what you are attempting and realize that you will also need to do something to the walls, like adding thickness, decoupling the sheetrock that you will need to install as well as insulation. Bare concrete will not deter the passage of sound by itself. Don't forget the ceiling and the floor, as both will need attention. Just building a bank safe door won't accomplish all you want. Hang in there for others to comment, as they may have other information that will help you.

CAL

09-06-13, 08:22 PM   #3  
No, it's not to play music loud.

I just have a very noisy family.

The room has sound proof windows all around and, even though they face the street, they (windows) do a great job.

This house has massive walls (no exaggeration), because it was built in the 50's to withstand the most violent hurricanes ever because I live in a tropical island and hurricanes are just par for the course. The walls are made of what we call "armed concrete" and they have solid concrete with rocks.

The only weak link as far as the sound goes, is the cheap door I bought a few years ago.

And since it is a 2 storied house and I keep the upstairs empty.

Lorenzo

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

09-07-13, 03:50 AM   #4  
If this is an exterior door, it may not be feasible to add to the width to the outside, but you can add 2" foam and a layer of plywood to the interior surface, cutting the foam and plywood 1/2" narrower all around to allow for a plywood edge return to the door to keep the ugly away.

There are also commercially available sound "proof" doors out there. Don't know what they cost, but it may be worth looking into considering your door will be butt ugly, and theirs will add to the beauty of the home Look at Soundproof Doors, Sound Control Interior Door - Studio 3D as an example.

CAL

09-07-13, 07:08 AM   #5  
Larry,

The door is an inside door. And that's a great site you suggested.

L

Super Moderator

AZ

09-07-13, 07:52 AM   #6  
Although it might be more trouble, with that thick a wall, you could probably put in 2 solid core or "safe-n-sound" type doors with opposite swings. Sort of like an exterior door with a storm door. If the door isn't used that much, might not be a huge issue.

Whatever you use will need to have some sort of weatherstripping as the normal gaps in interior doors will allow sound to travel through.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

CAL

09-07-13, 08:34 AM   #7  
For some reason Home Depot does not carry the safe-n-sound doors in my state.

L

Search this Thread