Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Re-glaze old Pella double-hung windows?

CAL

09-09-13, 03:13 AM   #1  
Re-glaze old Pella double-hung windows?

Bought an old house a few months ago. The previous owner had installed Pella Proline wood-trimmed double-hung windows 20+ years ago. Practically all of them have the seemingly common butyl rubber eruptions here and there, particularly on south-facing windows that see most of the sun (I live in San Diego). Basically a grey putty-like substance oozes from the gap between the glass and the wood frame. Googling suggests that this is a rather common occurrence on these widows. I have cut away the excess and cleaned up the mess, and am getting ready to repaint. However, I am wondering whether I should do some type of reglazing before painting.

I called Pella and asked whether there is any recommended reglazing and they said no. However, looking at the contact line between the wood and the glass I see uneven coverage and apparent gaps here and there, so Pella's reply does not give me much comfort. Is there any corrective action I can take to prolong the life of the windows? This is not your typical old-style window with the broad glaze bead. If I were to try to reglaze I would need a very narrow bead, at most 1/8".

First post, please be gentle :-) Yes, I did search the archives and could not find an answer, hence the new thread.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

09-09-13, 04:09 AM   #2  
Welcome to the forums!

If there is a gap between the glazing and the glass, I'd consider filling it with a thin bead of caulk.
Pics might be helpful - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Group Moderator

NE

09-09-13, 04:52 AM   #3  
I'm surprised they said no. The exterior of the window likely needs a very fine bead of clear silicone. I would leave the inside alone. Trimming any excess should be sufficient.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

09-09-13, 04:54 AM   #4  
If that sash gets painted - don't use silicone! paint doesn't adhere well to pure silicone caulk, if it doesn't paint, then silicone caulk is a good choice.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Group Moderator

NE

09-09-13, 11:32 AM   #5  
Pella windows are usually aluminum clad exterior. And usually you shpould only use silicone against glass.

Search this Thread