Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Caulking/ weatherstripping around exterior of windows - Contractor??

MO

09-11-13, 07:44 AM   #1  
Caulking/ weatherstripping around exterior of windows - Contractor??

Hello: We have a tall two story house and unfortunately I can see that the caulk that was put around the double hung windows is pulling away from the brick and in general failing on most of the windows. I need to find someone to remove the caulk, spray in the foam insulation, if necessary, and recaulk.

I am not sure which type of contractor to call for this type of work.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

09-11-13, 09:20 AM   #2  
Possibly a handyman. The main thing is to make sure whoever does the work is competent - it's not easy to clean up spray foam or caulk off of the brick. It pays to do a nice neat job from the get go. Many painters can do the caulking, not sure how many would be willing to apply the spray foam. I assume the low expanding foam would be the type to use.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Group Moderator

NE

09-11-13, 10:19 AM   #3  
I agree. please don't spray foam the outside of the windows.. if you need backer rod before you calk that's a different product.

Forum Topic Moderator

VA

09-11-13, 11:19 AM   #4  
Any foam if needed would be applied from the inside after removing the casing. I would use a clear paintable window and door caulk so that the bricks don't get wasted from a poor caulking job. If you have to paint anyway, hire a painter or someone with decent brush skills.

Search this Thread