Replace fixed transom with opening one?


Old 09-11-13, 08:05 AM
VMH is offline
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 22
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replace fixed transom with opening one?

I order to get cross ventilation through the house but not have to have full size windows or doors open (for security purposes) I would like to see about replacing the fixed double glazed transom window over my back door (picture attached) with one that opens.

The door is a standard size. Is there any company that makes such a thing?

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-13, 08:14 AM
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 614
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A replacement window company could probably build an awning or slider to fit that opening.
Old 09-11-13, 03:46 PM
XSleeper's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 23,145
Received 195 Votes on 181 Posts
The height will likely be too short for an awning or slider. (there are minimum heights for window openings). You could look into a hopper style window (they usually hinge at the bottom), but the problem with putting any vinyl replacement window into such a short opening is that (lets say the window is 12" tall) you will have 6" of frame (3" on top, 3" on bottom) and maybe only 6" of glass in the sash.

If you would tell us how big the interior jamb is where the casing is nailed on, we could probably find out what's available. But with no measurements, we can only guess. It probably is less than 12" tall, isn't it?

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: