Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Exterior door header help - sloped wall for modern shed

Old 09-13-13, 10:43 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi,

Would be grateful for any type of help with my problem.

Please see attached picture which should help. This is new construction with 2x6 walls, rafters. The shed will have a a single pitch roof running from approx 96" high on left side to 86" high on the right side over a span of approx 11ft. The shed is 15ft long the olther way and there is a dividing wall in the middle parallel to the wall being discussed which will help to support the roof. Excluding my roof rafters (that run parralel with the slope) and roof sheathing, I am left with 90" on one side running down to 80" on the other.

I have an 80" high, 5ft wide french door (that is the rough opening dimensions) that I would like to stick in my modern shed. I have purchased a door already :-(.

Given the 5ft span and 2x6 walls, I was going to use a 2x6 header (a sandwich of three 2x6's and 2 half inch pieces of ply). If I include a plate to rest the header on (1.5"), the header (5.5"), and double top plate (3"), - i require about 10" of room above my door. This is the approximate height of my structure in the middle - which includes the rafters.

What is the best way I can make this fit (would like to limit height) - sistering to rafters, beveling/sloping/scribing the header, altering rafter direction for roof, build wall to rafter height and run sheathing across? I live in Ontario so will have some snow loads.

Thanks!
Chris

Attached Images  
Old 09-13-13, 01:05 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
Being a shed, do you need 2x6 wall construction? Your double top plate will give you an additional 3" of clearance over the wall stud length. If you merely went with 2x4 walls, you could change the 96" wall to 105" studs and the other wall to 96". Should give you enough clearance with your door header and not have excessive waste by having to buy 2x6 standard lengths (8' or 12').

Old 09-13-13, 01:35 PM
C
For a shed 2x6 is overkill I agree, but wanted to keep my options open for a potential green roof on the shed in the future. Also wanted to see if I could keep my height dimensions to keep neighboirs happy.

Are you then suggesting that I build the front wall to the level of the roof 95 1/4" (3/4" sheathing to 96") on the high side and build the opposite back wall to 89.75" on high side (96" less 3/4" sheathing and 5.5" for 2x6 rafter).

Do I need my rafters to transfer the load at the front wall how is this best accompished?

Old 09-13-13, 02:39 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Install the door on the high, long wall instead of where now shown. No clearance problems there.

Old 09-13-13, 04:25 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
They build 2 story homes hear with just 2x4 construction. The only reason for 2x6 in northern climates is for additional insulation.

No, the walls on the high side are 2x4x105 plus triple plate 4.5" = 109 1/2" before roof rafters. The walls on the short are 2x4x96 plus triple plate 4.5" = 100.5" before roof rafters.

You have a bottom plate, plus a double top plate. The lumber at 105" and 96" are standard stock items pre-cut to save time. That should give you plenty of room for your door header.

Old 09-13-13, 04:59 PM
C
Thanks for your insight. Unfortunately I do not want to build higher. Just trying to see if there are any framing techniques I can use to make the door work in this space/ height.

Old 09-13-13, 05:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 896 Votes on 822 Posts
Use a single top plate above the header... install a metal strap across the bottom top plate... and across the header... 16" longer than the header to each side and continuous. Building inspectors here woyld approve that. not sure about yours.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: