Andersen Gliders not Gliding

Old 09-14-13, 05:23 AM
Andersen Gliders not Gliding

We have Anderson Patio Gliders (double) that have not opened and closed smoothly since installation. We have tried adjustment at the bottom. When fully open they slide well then get very stiff as they close. However, when I adjusted the right one it seemed to slide a little better when almost closed but not fully open. We've cleaned the track checked the level etc. Any thoughts?
Mister B

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-13, 06:43 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'd be checking the floor and bottom track with my 6' level to check for a low or high spots.
Often times someone messes up and builds a deck, stoop, patio level with the doors threshold which is a sure way to let water get under it and swell up the subflooring.
By code it was suppose to be at least 6" below it.

Old 09-14-13, 10:05 AM
Anderson Gliders not Gliding

We have checked and all seems level, also deck is 6" below as you mention. A few things we've thought of but don't know: Is opening not quite high enough to allow for adequate adjustment? Could the rollers not be installed correctly or are they perhaps not working correctly.
Mister B

Old 09-14-13, 12:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
patio/deck
By code it was suppose to be at least 6" below it
Is that local or national code? I used to paint for a builder in a nearby town that has the strictest code/enforcement in my area ..... and he always built his decks level with the interior floor His houses were never flagged by the inspector [at least not that portion] I know it's not a good building practice to have the deck/patio floor level with the living space but I'm not aware of the building code in my locale preventing it

Mister B - get down at the bottom and roll the door back and forth to see if it binds anywhere or if the rollers aren't rolling properly.

Old 09-14-13, 02:16 PM
Group Moderator
Andersens often have a removable top stop. Take that stop off and see if you have clearance over tge door. if not then lower the rollers. if there is enough clearance over the door see if it slides any better with that top stop removed. if it does then the stop is probably binding on the door and was pushed in too tightly on the latch side.

Old 09-27-13, 04:53 PM
Mister B

So...the gliding doors are gliding again. Here's what we did.
We (yes I have to give my wife kudos for helping as you'll see below) removed the top stop, which did not resolve the issue, so we removed the door. This gave us the ability to tighten the head track, which seem to provide just enough space to help glide better. My wife cleaned the rollers, the dirt etc from the builders really had them stuck, thus this may have compounded the sticking. So with clean rollers and a little space, I could then readjust the rollers and the doors are gliding much better.
Thanks to all who gave some advice.
Mister B

Old 09-27-13, 05:12 PM
Group Moderator
Great feedback. Nice job!