Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page > Installing swamp Coole- Inexpensive Plexiglass alternative?

Installing swamp Coole- Inexpensive Plexiglass alternative?

Old 09-14-13, 11:01 PM
Installing swamp Coole- Inexpensive Plexiglass alternative?

I am looking for an inexpensive Plexiglass alternative for installing a swamp cooler through window.

Is there any alternative instead of using plexiglass.

Thanks for tips.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-13, 11:54 PM
Plywood, sheet metal, cardboard, clay, concrete or any other material that can be cut and fit or molded in place.

Old 09-15-13, 09:04 AM
I need an alternative to get the sunlight through the window into the house.

Old 09-15-13, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator
Well, lets see...you need transparent so the light comes through and easy to cut (or have cut) to size. Well, saran wrap is transparent and easy to cut...but not very strong. If you want it to look real cheap and low rent you could buy heavy vinyl material at a fabric store which would be easy to cut and install, but it might be susceptible to leaks and damage. Glass would probably be kind of expensive and prone to cracking, even if you can get it cut to fit the opening.

I guess that leaves...plexiglass. Or polycarbonate (Lexan)...which will cost about 3-4 times as much but is very strong and not as easy to scratch.

If you decide on plexi, be advised it can shatter if you try to dill it and the bit grabs or it is flexed too much. Sanding or running a propane torch over any corners, holes, or cut edges to slightly melt it will help with that.

Old 09-15-13, 10:24 AM
It would help to know the type and size of the window. I am assuming that the cooler unit takes up only part of the window space so maybe you could frame in around the cooler and then add glass panes above to allow the light to enter. Honestly, I think the plastic glazing (Plexiglass or Lexan or the like) is the best and safest alternative.

Old 09-15-13, 03:25 PM
I took a picture from the window and swamp cooler.

The idea with framing around the cooler sounds good.

What is the best way to do that?

Attached Images  
Old 09-15-13, 03:46 PM
Same style window I have in my bedroom. Definitely do-able. Give me a day or two to work something up for you. (Anyone else that wants to help, please do so.)

Old 09-21-13, 08:33 PM
Furd

Same style window I have in my bedroom. Definitely do-able. Give me a day or two to work something up for you. (Anyone else that wants to help, please do so.)

Do you have any idea.....?

Old 09-22-13, 12:05 PM
I have lots of ideas, unfortunately they are difficult to put into print. First a couple of questions, what tools do you have and what skills in using woodworking tool do you possess?

My idea is to use a 2X4 with a dado routed in it to fit on the right side of the opening over the place where the window fits. Then another piece of wood, maybe a 1X4 or 1X6 on the left side of the cooler. Both side pieces would go from stool to head jamb. Fit cross pieces at the top of the cooler and header that have rabbits or inside stops to accept a pane of glass and then follow up with external stops. Use a piece of wood in the track to hold the window tight against the 1X material.

If you can understand this then you are set; if you cannot understand then I fear I am not able to put my ideas in print.

Old 09-22-13, 12:35 PM
Group Moderator
So your plan would be to put the cooler in the right side. How high up would it be in the opening ?

I don't recognize the window style or which way it opens so I'm sort of guessing.
How heavy is that cooler ? Does it require outside framing to hold the weight ?

Old 09-22-13, 12:39 PM
I don't recognize the window style or which way it opens so I'm sort of guessing.
Standard sliding window, vent on right side of picture, slides to the left.

Old 09-22-13, 01:11 PM
Group Moderator
Ok....thanks. Then the only real un-known here at this point is how heavy is that cooler when filled with water and what kind of external support it will need. The framework to retain the plexiglass is pretty straightforward.

Search this Thread