Double french doors and retrofit windows

Old 09-16-13, 03:11 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Double french doors and retrofit windows

Recently the wife and I have been looking into some energy efficient windows because the heat keeps the AC running all of the time. Currently I have old single pane aluminum windows and the rooms tend to get really hot. So we decided to do retrofit windows. We are looking to sell the home in a couple years so not really looking for anything over the top but something decent that will last 5-10 years with a good look. Any recommendations?

In addition, we have two sets of double French doors and would like to replace those as well. This might be a dumb question but could I just buy better doors, take the old ones out, and hang the new ones without having to touch the frame?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-13, 03:19 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Depending on your frame set up on the windows now, you may be able to get a mid range window from Pella, JeldWen, Andersen, MW to fit the opening as a replacement window. Of course we can't see what you see, so pictures would help. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

In retrofitting doors, minor differences in the size of the frame versus the doors would make just swapping the doors an inefficient move. IF you could find exact replacement door frames, you could do as you stated and just do an R&R.

Old 09-16-13, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator
One question...what is the exterior of the home? If stucco, they make specific vinyl replacements that include snap on trim to cover the old aluminum frame. No need to tear out the old frame. Installation is less than 1/2hr per window from what I understand. You lose a slight amount of glass area, but that's common with replacement/retrofit windows.

Old 09-16-13, 11:39 PM
The outside of the house is stucco. As for pics, I seem to have trouble downloading from my phone but I'll try again from my laptop tomorrow. The windows are single pane, aluminum frame windows. Nothing special.

Old 09-17-13, 07:25 PM
Window awnings work wonders at keeping the sun light and heat out.