Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Soffit blocking screen door installation

NY

09-22-13, 05:35 PM   #1  
Soffit blocking screen door installation

The house I just purchased has a great patio out back, but the door to it was strangely without a screen door. While taking measurements to figure out what door I would need, I realized there was a pretty clear reason for the lack of a screen door: The soffit hangs down in the way of the opening.

The attached picture will clear up any question you may have around what I mean. The soffit is angled as well, because if it were level with the ground, it would actually block in the top two inches of the door frame. I'm really not sure how the contractor who built the house could have made this kind of decision.

Anyway, the thing I'm trying to determine is what route should I take to get a screen door in to allow for a nice cross breeze in the house and make my wife happy!

Option 1: Cut out a section of the fascia large enough to allow for the door to swing open and re-align the gutter to make way. The position of the door and the height of the fascia is enough that I should be able to adjust and still get about 1/4" to 1/2" per 10' on the gutter slope.

Option 2: Get a screen door that is about 4" shorter than the door frame, block out the top gap where the door doesn't meet the top, and allow the screen door to swing under the soffit.

Option 3: Get one of those new roll-in/out screen doors to avoid any issue with the soffit. This ended up not being possible because the soffit is sloped so close that mounting the bracket that houses the roll-up screen door is not possible. Can't even fit a mini-screwdriver to drive it into the frame.

Option 4: Any other / better ideas?

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

09-22-13, 06:39 PM   #2  
Welcome to the forums! Door #3. I don't see any of the other options as viable and still leave the place looking like it should.

NY

09-23-13, 08:09 AM   #3  
Hey Larry, thanks for your reply! Unfortunately though, like I mentioned, option 3 is not possible because the soffit actually is close enough that it actually blocks the brackets from being mounted. I can't even fit a screw driver in there. I suppose I could probably make it work if I temporarily removed the soffit, but if I'm going to the trouble of removing it, I may as well cut things out a bit and just use a normal door.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

VA

09-23-13, 08:33 AM   #4  
It can be done but it will leave the house looking like a hacked up mess.
Another option would be to replace the door with one with an opening window with a screen in it.

CAL

09-24-13, 03:51 PM   #5  
Hi, I had the same problem. I installed a Phantom Sureview by SEIKI screen systemes. It is mounted on the inside of the door jamb. It works like a window blind but vertically. I purchased it from Lowes. I have the installation manual with the help line phone number 1-866-333-8868.
I installed this door about 4 years ago.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Search this Thread