Window leaks between top of sash and frame

Old 09-23-13, 03:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Window leaks between top of sash and frame

I am not an expert on this so my terms might not be proper.

I have a leak from a stationary window in our living room. Leak seems to be coming from where top of window sash meets the frame. This window is a stationary one in the middle and there are sliding windows on each side.

We had heavy rain the other day and I could see water dripping from the top area from the inside. No leak between glass panels.

I looked from outside and I can see that there's a thin gap at the top with some molds developing.

What's causing this issue? Should I just apply caulking at the gap?
I have life-time warranties for my windows (Millgards). Is this something that would be covered under the warranty?

Picture of the window from the outside: https://eibzkw.blu.livefilestore.com...15-52-56_0.jpg

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-13, 04:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 193 Votes on 179 Posts
If you would take a picture from farther back, showing the entire window, that might help. Also a picture from the inside with an arrow pointing to exactly where the water was originating. I have never seen a window with a vent/weep at the top of the window like that. Is there also one on the bottom?

Old 09-24-13, 11:45 AM
Thanks for your response. I added three images.

First one shows the inside view of the window with a circle around the area where I noticed the leak.

Second one shows the view of the window from outside. Middle one is the stationary window that is showing leaks.

Third picture shows the closeup view of the area above window sash from the outside. Notice small mold growth between sash and frame. And it's right below the vent.

Forth picture is another closeup view of the area above window sash from the outside.

Windows do have weep holes at the bottom. Opening at the top is the small vent which you open and close from inside.

Thanks!

Attached Images     
Old 09-24-13, 03:54 PM
Group Moderator
Huh! Well I guess the first thing I would suspect is that vent. Maybe it's just the picture, but it almost looks like a louver is missing/broken. If the vent is what's leaking then yeah, I would think that would be a warranty item. Was it a wind driven rain that caused it to leak?

And have you gotten on a ladder and checked the bottom of the transom windows above the slider?

Old 09-25-13, 02:33 PM
Thanks for your response, again!

I don't think it's the vent. I am able to shut it from the inside and I have other windows with the same kind of vent that doesn't have same problem. And close inspection didn't show anything missing or broken.

I also checked transom window above it and didn't see any issues.

Yes, it was a very windy and stormy day when we noticed the leak.

Perhaps we can somehow remove the stationary window, clean out molds and improve the seal?

Another thing I noticed, by the way, was that weep holes at the bottom were painted over and blocked. They are open now. Could blocked weep holes have caused the leak?

Old 09-25-13, 04:01 PM
Group Moderator
Sure you can shut the vent from the inside, but does that mean that it's water tight, if the wind is blowing rain into it at 30 mph?

I doubt that removing the stationary window will solve anything. Many times the center panel on a 3 lite window will be fixed (not possible to remove).

If the weep holes are plugged you should definitely unplug them, but no I don't think that plugged weep holes on the bottom of the slider window would cause a leak at the top of the window. Unless you are saying the transom windows were the ones that had the plugged weep holes.

Old 09-26-13, 09:55 AM
If the fixed window is not removable, then I am guessing it should be considered as a part of the window covered by warranty. When I called Millgard, they said they wouldn't cover issues caused by installers and anything outside of their product. Since the leak is from the area that should be a part of their product, I am guessing it's covered then.

Thoughts?

Weep holes I unplugged were from the bottom of windows, not from transom windows.

Old 09-26-13, 04:05 PM
Group Moderator
My thoughts are, good luck getting anything out of the window company. History has shown that's usually like getting juice from a turnip.

Why don't you take a hose and shoot it at the window and see if you can recreate the leak, while someone stands inside and watches. I'd aim it right at the vent and see if it leaks. I would almost guarantee that it has something to do with the leak, in the right weather conditions.

I highly doubt that Milgard would do anything about it even if you told the that the vent was the source of the leak. Depending on the pressure test rating of the window, it might be operating within tested parameters, for all I know. Pressure test ratings are designed to establish how much air and water leakage is permissible on the window. You would think that the amount of leakage that would be permissible would be "none"... but that's not exactly correct.