Sliding Glass Door Won't Stay Locked

Old 09-26-13, 11:56 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sliding Glass Door Won't Stay Locked

I found a weakness in the sliding glass door that leads to my back yard. If I lock the door and then try to open and close the door a few times, it becomes unlocked. The lock is very common...its a lever with a hook.

I put a thick dowel in the track to "lock it" as a micky mouse solution, but I'd like to fix the door.

Is there a way I can tighten the locking mechanism? Can I replace it? Should I visit with a professional or do it myself.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-13, 03:09 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

IMO sliding glass doors never lock well and the best defense is a stick laid in the tract to prevent opening. I've opened many a sliding glass door by taking my putty knife and lifting the door up and down ...... and those were brand new doors [to gain access to paint new construction] Even the pins that go thru both doors can be tapped repeatedly until they 'jump' out.

You should be able to get a replacement lock and install it yourself - they aren't complicated.

Old 09-26-13, 04:35 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
On the latch side of the door, look at the lock mechanism. See if there is a screw that appears to do nothing. It may have an adjustment screw that allows the hook arm to move out further to better grab the catch. One of the rollers may be wearing thin and the door is not as square in the hole as it originally was. This may have caused the latch to not fully engage.

Old 09-26-13, 04:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 720 Votes on 666 Posts
It also could be that you have a type of latch keeper (which is attached to the jamb) that needs to be adjusted up or down slightly so as to better engage the hook of the latch.

Old 09-27-13, 09:58 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I found a screw that looks like it might be used for tightening. I am afraid I'll ruin the setting so for now I'm sticking with a piece of wood to block its opening.