Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

May I replace just the sash of my single-hung vinyl window?

CAL

09-30-13, 04:47 PM   #1  
May I replace just the sash of my single-hung vinyl window?

Hi all. We bought a home in Campbell, CA and two of the vinyl windows appear to be older than the rest - with the brand name CROWN. They are single hung windows with insulated glass. The approx dimensions of the entire window is 60" by 47" and the sash is 29 1/4 by 46 1/4. The sash portion seems that the gas has escaped and the window is cloudy inside. I've called a glazier and they want $265 to replace the glass in the sash. Would it be cheaper (even possible) to replace the entire sash? I can not find anyone who has heard of Crown Windows. Are there generic sash window units that may fit? Will I end up spending the same? Thanks, James

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NE

09-30-13, 05:03 PM   #2  
Examine the track of the window and see if you can find an NFRC/AAMA sticker anywhere. Could be in the top, or tip the window in and it might be on the sides of the jamb. If you can find the sticker, give us all the info and abbreviations on it. Maybe we can track it down.

Occasionally there will be a snap-in trim that covers the head track of the window. The sides have pivot shoes that slide in this track, but on the head of the window, a trim sometimes covers that track and the sticker is sometimes hiding under there.

I don't think that the window is from "Crownwindow.com" which is located in Missouri, but you could send them a photo and ask if that's their logo and window. They have a contact us form on their website.

Search this Thread