Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Best beveled / stained glass insulated door insert

FL

10-10-13, 12:12 PM   #1  
Best beveled / stained glass insulated door insert

I have a front entry that has a 6 panel front door with no window, and a full length side light (clear glass) on both sides of the door. I would like to convert the door to one with a full length insulated beveled glass / stained glass panel and convert the side glass panes to the same type of glass. My question is where is the best place to purchase the glass panels? I have found one at a DIY web site but it was very limited in the selections. All your recommendations are welcome.

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

10-10-13, 06:08 PM   #2  
Welcome, formally, to the forums!! I see you managed to get'rdone. I seriously doubt you will be able to adapt a door without a window to one with one. Purchasing a new door, even if it is a slab, with your type glass in it, may be more cost efficient than having one cut down. I know $$ are watching, but a new fiberglas door with a stained/tiffany type glass in it is well insulated and is unaffected by weather changes, not that you have that many......spring - summer, right

A glass company may can replicate the stained glass design, as I am sure they are commonly used and install it in your sidelight. Again, a complete unit with sidelight and door may be a good investment.

FL

10-13-13, 02:23 PM   #3  
There are companies that do this all the time in our area. I have a year old fiberglass door that is well insulated so that should not be much of an issue. What they do is measure the size of the insert and cut the hole in the door to match. I have not found the suppliers of the beveled glass yet. This is sandwiched between two clear panes of glass to make a double pane unit. Does anyone have the contact of the companies that manufacture the actual inserts?

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

10-14-13, 03:42 AM   #4  
The problem I see is how will they frame in the area where the glass will go. They will be opening up the guts of your door and need to close off the inside edges somehow. If they do it all the time, I guess they have it figured out. We have a local glass guy who can just about get anything within reason, so it may pay to visit one to see if they have access to the type of glass you need. Ours has about a 2 week wait if the glass has to be made up or thermopaned.

Search this Thread