Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Plaster walls with no trim window replacement

Old 10-27-13, 06:51 AM

Hey folks, I'm new to the forum but have found many useful tips here. Now I have a dilemma. I need to start replacing windows in my home that was built in the 60's. The walls are plaster over drywall with a metal 1/4 molding that comes flush with the inside of the window casement. I assume that they nailed the molding on the wall and then plastered up to it. I have re-placed windows with trim before, but the plaster is making me think. Do I have to remove the plaster 1/4 molding? Do I have to cut the plaster with a masonry blade on my saw? (I can just envision my plaster breaking away) And then am I going to have to trim out my windows after they are replaced? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attached Images   

Last edited by onlyonespeed; 10-27-13 at 07:39 AM. Reason: pictures posted
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-13, 07:21 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Posting a picture of what you have would be a big help.

Old 10-27-13, 05:33 PM
Group Moderator
Unfortunately I think the plaster and the metal cornerbead will probably all have to get knocked out. It's likely got wire lathe behind it, reinforcing those rounded corners. You will probably be ahead of the game if you just plan on scoring the wall 2 - 3" or so around the perimeter of the corner bead with a grinder and diamond blade and plan on covering that cut edge with some nice new 4" poplar trim with a 1" backbanding, or something that fits the style of the period. If you are ordering wood windows remember to take into account the entire wall thickness, including plaster.

You will want to build a poly enclosure around each window, using Zipwall poles or similar, wear a respirator and have a box fan or exhaust fan to blow the dust out the window. The wife will want to kill you by the time it's all over.

A sawzall will make less dust but you will go through a bazillion blades and run a greater risk of cracking the plaster and pulling/beating large chunks off the wall as you cut. A grinder has none of those risks... it just makes a ton of dust. Having someone hold a 2 1/2" shop vac hose (with paper dust bag installed) as you grind will help some.

Old 10-28-13, 05:06 PM
Thanks XSleeper! I had a feeling I was going to be in for a project. I'm waiting till next summer to begin, and I wanted to do some planning. Plus I am doing some interior wall work and all the door ways are trimmed out the same way. It's a nice 70's look, but its time to go. Thank god my wife appreciates the work we put into it.