Inside window caulk cracking after 2 days

Old 10-31-13, 06:32 AM
Question Inside window caulk cracking after 2 days

I recently sealed up my windows with Dap ALEX PLUS. After a couple of days, I'm seeing what looks like cracks. What could cause this? See attached image.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-13, 07:06 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What was there before? Caulking?
Did you clean the area before caulking?
Reason I'm asking is all the black stuff in the cracks. Looks like mold forming.
The Plus would not have been my first choice, I only use Alex 230 and never had any call back on it.
You put it on a little thick, only needed enough caulking to fill the small gap, not all over the sides of the frame.

Old 10-31-13, 09:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
.... also did you paint over the caulk? caulking will crack if painted too soon. Was there any cold air coming thru the crack prior to caulking?

Old 10-31-13, 10:23 AM
joecaption1 -

There was no caulk there before, I did clean the area prior, and if that's putting it on thick, you should have seen how much was there before I removed the excess....my first time caulking something.

marksr -

I did not paint over. Just caulked the crack, and followed up with the square rubbery tool to remove excess. Don't know if there was any cold air coming through...there was just a gap there that I was told I should seal up. All my windows are "loud" in the sense I can hear a lot of outside noise (...and vice versa) so I had an energy auditor come in & recommend me caulk the windows, inside & out. Out of all the windows I've done, this is the only one that is showing these cracks. However, this is also the only window that doesn't open....all the other windows are your standard up & down-opening double pane windows.

Old 10-31-13, 01:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Caulking shrinks as it cures. It's possible that with the big bead, the top skimmed over and then cracked as the rest of the caulk cured at a slower rate. Since that is the only cracked caulk you have, I'd apply a thin bead over the caulking - just enough to fill in the cracks and see how that does.

Old 10-31-13, 04:28 PM
Group Moderator
Kind of looks like rust. Is this a steel framed window?

Old 11-01-13, 05:43 AM
XSleeper...not sure. It is just a rectangular non-moving sash that does feel metallic (as opposed to vinyl) at the border with the glass in the middle. It was replaced this year & when they replaced it, they just popped out the stoppers, sat the window in the slot, and put the stoppers back on. They caulked between the stoppers & the actual window frame (of the house?), but not in-between the glass sash & the stoppers.

marksr - I can assure you that the bead was evenly distributed (even if it was more than necessary) the full length. I used one of those tools with a rubber rounded square edge which takes away the excess. Hyde Caulk-Away and Caulk Rite Combo Pack-43640 at The Home Depot

Old 11-01-13, 06:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You misunderstood what I meant. Because the bead of caulk was a little thicker than normal, the exposed top of the caulking dried quicker than the caulking under it. The topside of the caulking was exposed to warm dry air allowing it to dry quicker than the caulking underneath. The top of the caulk dried while the bulk of the caulking was still curing [and shrinking] I think that is what caused the cracks. Hopefully I explained that in a manner that makes sense

Old 11-01-13, 06:13 AM
I understood that in your first post...the reasoning I was making was based on the fact that the cracking is only within a 1 foot area of this 4 foot wide window. Sorry, the pic doesn't show the full length....that's why I was saying the bead was evenly distributed the full length yet the cracking only appeared in only 25%.

Old 11-01-13, 06:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If the substrate was colder at that section - it would slow down the curing at that section. Since it's just a small area, I'd fix it and forget about it ...... unless it returns.

Old 12-01-14, 11:50 AM
Forgot to update this thread, but the cracking returned maybe a couple weeks after I re-caulked the window. What else could be the issue?

Old 12-01-14, 07:48 PM
Group Moderator
I would guess that there is some water under there from time to time that is causing the latex caulk to degrade. OSI quad would probably work better.