Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Steel or Fiberglass Doors? Best brands to look at?

Old 11-10-13, 05:24 PM

We are going to replace 3 entry doors. 2 of these doors go from our family room to our deck and the other from our laundry room to the back of the house. The 2 doors going out to the deck are full glass with grilles. The one from the laundry room is half glass with grilles. My wife wants built in miniblinds in all 3 (blinds in the glass).

We went to Lowes last night and they have RELIABILT doors, which they would have to order. They asked if we wanted steel or fiberglass (we have steel now) and we were not sure which were better. The salesperson said Fiberglass were more expensive but had better thermal properties. The doors from Lowes are about $550 each, unfinished and about $750 finished.

If you could give me your thoughts on the best type of door (steel or fiberglass), the best brand (is RELIABILT good) and whether we should have them finished or not it would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-13, 12:58 AM
In my opinion a high-quality fiberglass door is superior to a standard steel door. The steel door WILL rust if the paint is not kept in pristine condition.

On the other hand, there ARE many inferior fiberglass doors as well as steel doors. While I have no personal experience with the Reliabilt doors the mere fact that they are the most common in the big box mega-mart homecenters leads me to believe that they are NOT the top in quality. A high quality fiberglass door with hardware will likely run you in the neighborhood of $1200 or more depending on the style and any add-ons. That's for just the door and installation would be extra. The inner blinds option would likely add another $300 to the base price.

Old 12-10-13, 02:25 PM
A good fiberglass door is going to cost more than that.

Homeguard and Provia make the two nicest fiberglass doors in my opinion.

Old 12-12-13, 10:28 AM
I would take fiberglass. 4 years ago I changed one front door: my old was shaky wooden. Of course it was not very cheap, but I'm glad. That looks like this:
I recommend to choose door that looks harmoniously with the exterior.