Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Improving Weather Resistance of Old Aluminum windows

Old 11-13-13, 04:54 PM

Hi:
I had posted this question in the "energy" section but seems people are asking such window questions in the window/door section.

We recently moved into an apt that was built in the 70s. What attracted us to this apt in the first place is turning out to be a mixed blessing: we loved the large windows in the bedrooms but, now that the cold has come, we are finding that they do a very poor job of insulating the bedrooms. The windows are aluminum sliders, they must not be thermally broken because when I touch the frame on the inside of the room, it feels as cold as the outside air. The glass looks to be double pane with an air space, but it also transmits the cold pretty well. I was initially going to weatherstrip the windows but the cold seems to be coming from the glass and frames themselves and not so much from leakage around the window. The problem is that we can't replace the windows because it would have to be a whole co-op decision.
Any help would be much appreciated! I am trained as an architect and find it impossible to believe that something can't be done to improve this situation. I am especially concerned about our baby's room... I've thought about placing heavy fabric drapes in front of the windows (we currently have wood blinds) as that might help a bit, but I'm hoping someone has a more effective solution.
Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-13, 06:43 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Sliders and metal frames are two of the leakiest and coldest windows you can have.
About all you can do is apply some shrink wrap film over the whole thing.