Replacing leaky basement window

Old 11-26-13, 06:24 PM
Replacing leaky basement window

Hi! I am looking to replace my window and want to waterproof it correctly. The window is in a wooden frame with poured concreted. The exterior trim is letting water in when it rains. How do I got about flashing the window to the poured concrete? Also, any tips on waterproofing it would also be helpful!

basement - Imgur

Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-13, 08:28 PM
Group Moderator
For starters, clean off that measley bead of what looks like latex caulk off the top of the cladding- its so full of gaps and holes that it's doing more harm than good- and completely dry out the cement with a heat gun. Don't use a torch and don't catch the wood on fire. Just dry it out so that new sealant will stick. Then apply a healthy bead (3/8" nozzle minimum) of Vulkem or OSI Quad or a similar polyurethane sealant. It appears the top of the cladding may be trapping and holding water, or the cement would not be so saturated with water.

Next, install some sort of kickout flashing under the vinyl siding so that most water will drip out and over the window, rather than run down the face of the foundation and trim. (Z-flashing or gutter apron installed vertically.)

And then finally, move the hoses and any other stuff that's on top of window well grating and install a window well cover over the window well to prevent 99% of the water from even getting in the window well or from hitting the window in the first place.

All these things together will probably help to keep a poorly installed window from leaking as badly as it currently does.

I would just venture to guess that the window well has no drain and if it does, it's been plugged with muck and debris. You could excavate the bottom to see if you find any drain tile. The bottom of the window well should have clean rock or gravel, not dirt and debris or mud. Check the grade around the house to ensure that water from the surrounding area is running away from the window well- not running down into the window well and exacerbating the problem. Some guys will caulk the interior of the window well to the foundation wall with a polyurethane sealant to prevent erosion.

Old 11-27-13, 08:41 AM
Thank for the advice! Would some like this work attached behind the vinyl siding?

DuraFlash Ledger Board Vinyl Flashing (2) 5' Sections - Tan

Old 11-27-13, 09:16 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
That would work if your up to removing the siding on the bottom row, removing the starter strip, Installing the Z moulding then reinstalling the starter and siding.

Old 11-27-13, 04:34 PM
Group Moderator
Yes, that's the idea. But I'd opt for something that will provide a wider drip edge. They make z-flashing in various widths. The one you're looking at seems to be 1 1/2". If you can find something wider, use that.