Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

help with measurements for replacement windows

Old 11-30-13, 06:38 PM

Hey all,

Sorry for this topic. I used the search function and went back about 5 pages, but could not find my answer.

I have a 11 year old town house, and I need to replace four windows. I measured them today, and they come in at 35.5" wide, and 59" tall. I measured in three different locations for each measurement and came up with the same number each time.

My problem is that lowe's or home depot doesn't have anything in the 59" height range.

Am I doing something wrong? I can't imagine these are custom windows, they are ****ty builder grade single pane vinyl windows. Thanks for any replies in advance .

Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-13, 08:34 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Are you looking for new construction or replacement windows?
Vinyl windows are "custom" ordered all the time with no up charge.
They can be made to your exact size.
Unless your looking for cheap builders grade windows stay away from the box stores.

Old 12-01-13, 07:13 AM
I'm looking for replacement windows.

Old 12-01-13, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator
I have some, what you might call standard size windows, but I still had to order custom.
I got a better grade Jeld-wen replacements at Home Depot.
I'm not sure why Joec is telling you to not buy there?

Old 12-02-13, 07:17 PM
Who did you order custom from? A local shop?

Old 12-03-13, 03:57 AM
May I offer my opinion? Well, you're getting anyway .

Do what joecaption1 says. Order them as custom (this is the most common way its done).
Why?
Consider what you're buying and how it's being used.
It's your home.
It's considered a lifetime item.
It serves as an energy saving item.
Price will reflect quality.
If you but from a big box store, once you sign that bill of sale the store will devoid themselves of any action on your behalf if the windows come in broken or not to size. You, most likely will have to expedite delivery.

Old 12-03-13, 06:02 AM
Super Moderator
I have to say, I had a problem with 3 windows (I ordered 15), and they replaced them at their cost. Two were the wrong size because the guy writing up the order wrote the wrong size down. I didn't notice when I looked over the order and signed it, but they still took the responsibility, so kudos to them (this was Home Depot).
If it comes in damaged or missing something, they replace. Not sure why you think they won't.
If they install, they measure too, then take full responsibility. If you install and measure wrong, then it's probably on you, but this is true with anyone that deals in custom anything.

Not trying to push the big box stores on anyone, but we installed ourselves, which is why we went with them.

Old 12-03-13, 09:57 AM
Not real sure how you measured, but it appears that they would be standard 3.0 x 5.0 windows.

Old 12-03-13, 06:18 PM
If it comes in damaged or missing something, they replace. Not sure why you think they won't.
If they install, they measure too, then take full responsibility. If you install and measure wrong, then it's probably on you, but this is true with anyone that deals in custom anything.
Well, maybe I spoke too harshly. But as with anything once burned, one becomes shy. I had and have had friends who had to take control on delivery and damage situations because the big box stores just couldn't get the job done. Not that they refused to make good, but for what ever reason they just dragged their feet.
When I decided to remodel my kitchen I was quoted by HD and by a local cabinet dealer. The local warned me that in the event of delivery delays, I would have to expedite my own if I bought from HD. But if I bought from him it was his job to do it. Low and behold delivery did become a possible issue. He made sure I got the cupboards on time. He also beat the pants off of HD and provided better quality and more options. When it comes to an item that I'm not totally knowledgeable about, I'll stick with the local small business guy.
But just by way of comparison, it seems different areas have a different outlook. Here in Western New York, the big box stores have a reputation of being non-customer oriented...hard to get help, poor knowledge of product, a don't care attitude in general. However, in other cities those same big box stores have been excellent to me in all area. Go figure.

Old 12-04-13, 07:25 PM
I measured height from inside where the sash lies top to bottom (and got 59.5), and then width from L to R on the widest part of the window.

If it is standard, which size replacement window do I choose? I don't want new construction, I want the easy to install stuff.