Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Could This Work? (Exteroir Faux Window Question)

Old 12-08-13, 03:51 PM

Hi All,

Recently purchased a new home. The floor plan was exactly what I was looking for. However, there has always been, IMO, one flaw on the exterior of the house. There is a wall (brick) in front of the house with no window. Only a faux shutter, that I guess is supposed to imitate 2 smaller shutters closed. On the other side (inside) of this wall is the Mater Bath.

This spring I plan to address this issue. The one solution Im exploring is a faux bay/bow window with a polymer roof. Ive never installed a window. But I was thinking that because a bay or bow window sticks out from the brick, there may be some kind of way to do a hidden exterior frame and make this work.

Any thoughts on if this is possible or not?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-13, 05:22 PM
Group Moderator
Sure. It would look great from a long ways away, but really stupid from up close, unless you completely covered the interior of the window panes with blinds to prevent people from looking in through the window to see the back the wall. It would also need support from underneath and the roof would need to be flashed (tuck pointing and counterflashing) to the brick to prevent it from leaking and rotting. Black or bronze window tinting would be an alternative to blinds, to prevent seeing through the glass. A lot to spend for a faux window. (> $1000's)

Old 12-08-13, 10:58 PM
Actually the up close view is the least of my worries. My main concern is knowing if a finished look can be achieved, in regard to the mounting of the window. There are plenty faux windows. But they are for non brick buildings. They simply dark film to solve the upclose view issue. With a real bay window IM sure there are plenty options I could use to resolve that issue. Also, in front of the window is landscaping (mulch, shrubs, flowers, etc..) So there really no reason I can think of that someone would be right up on the window.

But as I said before, my concern and what Im here looking to find out is if a finished look can be achieved doing this. I know this wouldnt be a cheap solution. From what I can tell it shouldnt be more $1500 or so, which IMO would be money well spent.

Thanks

Old 12-09-13, 07:43 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Can you post a picture?
Idea so far sounds makes little since to me.

Old 12-10-13, 04:19 PM
After a little more research, Ive decided this is something I will do this spring.

Ive uploaded the current state of the shutters only wall, which is where I want the faux window.

Ive also attached a file showing my desired look. Add grills to the windows, and a black polymer or shingled roof. At the very top of the wall I may also place one of these url=http://addingcurbappeal.com/product-reader/items/66.html]Add Curb Appeal to Your Home with Decorative Windows from Explorer Building Systems - Products[/url]

Im also attaching a pic showing the style of knee brace I want under the faux window for support. Naturally, unlike the photo, it woulld also be white.

The window will be supported primarily by the knee board, a cable support system in the the roof of the window, and additional cable support in the window itself. These additional cable supports would not be done in a conventional window install as they will be installed where you would typically put plants pictures, etc...But in my case, either a false wall, dark tint on the window, curtains, or what ever method I decide to go with with, will keep the supports out of sight.

I will be sure to post pics when this is all completed.

thanks!

Attached Images