Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Condensation/Mold in windows

NY

12-10-13, 11:43 AM   #1  
Condensation/Mold in windows

I've got an original (1972) wood picture window in my home as well as a few other horizontal sliders, the picture window is the big issue. It has 4 individual sections that do not open, all are vertical about 16" x 48". They each have 2 panes of glass, and they have been getting a lot of condensation on them since its gotten much colder recently.
The outside pane appears to be able to be removed from outside the house as there are tabs on the frame that can swing open to hold it in place or take them out.
I've never messed with them as there are a couple layers of paint on the frames covering these tabs.
Is it possible to remove this outer pane and clean in between the panes and somehow reseal them to avoid this issue. I don't have a spare $3000 that I've been quoted to replace the window.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

12-10-13, 12:34 PM   #2  
Welcome to the forums!

Double and triple pane windows are factory sealed and aren't intended to come apart .... and if you did take them apart you wouldn't be able to remove enough moisture and seal them good enough to prevent a reoccurrence. You might have a storm window on the exterior that is removable. Could you post a pic or two? http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

VA

12-10-13, 02:53 PM   #3  
If it is a sealed unit, it is not a real DIY friendly project as you will not have access to the tools or consumables to re-make the sealed unit.

You could take it to a glass shop and see what they would charge to remake the IGU.

NY

12-11-13, 06:18 AM   #4  
Unfortunately I couldn't get any pics last night or this morning as it was too dark outside to get an exterior shot. I did take a look at the window though, It is possible that the windows are single pane with a storm window on the outside that is removeable.

Search this Thread