installing sidelight in frame

Old 12-17-13, 09:52 AM
installing sidelight in frame

We purchased a front door/dual sidelight unit.
My framer installed the frame and set the front door. However, the sidelights came separately and so they need to be set into the already installed frame. The frame has stop installed around the center of the openings on all four sides.
Questions:
1. Should the sidelight be mounted on the outside of the stops, so it is flush with the exterior?
2. What would be the best way to install it?
I was thinking I could run a bead of exterior caulk (which kind?) in the corner where the stop meets the jamb but then to further connect it to the house the only thing I come up with is to toe nail it into the frame - a not very appealing solution. Posts I have read say the sidelights are supposed to be connected through the outside of the frame into the sidelight frame, but this is not possible.
This should be an easy install..if only i knew a better approach..and the painter is coming!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-13, 11:45 AM
Group Moderator
Sorry, can't picture it. Can you upload some photos that show the entire opening as well as closeups of the corner of the frame? I would think the operating door panel and the sidelight panels would have to be in the same plane (at the same wall depth) or it would look funny.