Incredible Hulked my door

Old 12-19-13, 10:22 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Incredible Hulked my door

Hey there. A few weeks ago, I locked myself out of the door that leads to my kitchen from the garage. I did not have my keys, did not wish to be late to work nor have to pay for a locksmith, so, being the genius that I am and after seeing it done in movies, I tried to pick the lock. No dice. I used a credit card to try to get into it. No dice. I tried a few well placed shoulder blows. No dice. Then I turned into the hulk after getting angry, noticed a cinder block, and proceeded to beat the bejesus out of the door handle, thinking that I could replace the handle for 10 bucks or so. No dice, although I did teach that door handle to respect me. Finally, a few more blows with my shoulder opened the door. In the process, the door jamb on the side of the lock doesn't look too good. It obviously needs replaced. The door is fine, and I've already replaced the handle. How hard is it to replace that side of the door frame/jamb?

Old 12-19-13, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Ouch... Replacing a jamb pretty much means uninstalling the door...at least for an amateur. By that I mean a skilled carpenter might be able to do it, but it's a tough job for anyone else.

I believe they make jamb repair kits that just get screwed in place?

Might be simpler to just replace the door, frame and all. Depends on the construction.

Old 12-19-13, 11:17 AM
Received 667 Upvotes on 590 Posts
I agree. That door will never be the same.

Old 12-19-13, 01:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,707 Upvotes on 1,531 Posts
I do love a well written post that makes me laugh... LOL

To give you the best advice we'd probably need a few pictures of the damage that the Hulk did.

Old 12-19-13, 01:50 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 740 Upvotes on 646 Posts
I have a building that's been broken into several times Last time I repaired the jamb using a piece of angle iron inset in and screwed into the jamb with holes cut for the locks..... might not be a pretty enough repair for your house

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

It's always nice to get respect - even if it's only from a door knob

Old 12-20-13, 12:06 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
thanks everyone. Ill get some pictures posted here soon.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: