Sunnyside front door - fiberglass?

Old 01-02-14, 04:40 PM
N
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Sunnyside front door - fiberglass?

Maybe becasue I am working on replacing some of the interior doors, got me looking at one and only front door.
I actually was considering to replace it for quite awhile, but kept putting git off becasue of the the price and at one point the contractor I asked for suggestions, said "you door looks just fine.
Well, now it looks even worse than before, it even developed some cracks through the door panel.
Since I live in a sunny spot and sun beats on that door (one main reason why it looks the way it does) for the most of the morning to about noon. What would be the best material and finish for the door?
I have heard that fiberglass doors make a popping sound when they expand and contract, so does my current pine door, but finish can deteriorate fairly quickly. Steel door I was told to avoid, because of the temperature transfer been higher than the fiberglass. I suspect it depends on the door quality, and consequentially the price.
Found this door on Home Depot site,
Feather River Doors Silverdale Brass 3/4 Oval Lite Cherry Mahogany Fiberglass Entry Door-C11505 at The Home Depot
any opinions?

Old 01-03-14, 03:39 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 427 Votes on 382 Posts
I don't know a lot about fiberglass doors but I've finished thousands of metal doors. There shouldn't be any significant heat/cold transfer with a metal door. Steel doors usually have a wood 'spacer' between the 2 steel panels. Some have a gap instead of wood. That along with the insulation and weatherstripping make them about as energy efficient as they can be. While I've always liked the look of wooden doors they can be difficult to keep looking good unless they have a porch roof or something to give them maximum protection from sun/rain.

Old 01-03-14, 05:54 AM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
Fiberglass doors have a foam core that helps control heat transfer. It also will not dent should you throw an errant rock up out of the pathway while you are mowing the lawn. If the sun is the major factor in your purchase, I would consider getting a door that will accommodate a storm door. The storm door will act as a buffer between the finish on the door itself and the elements. If your door has side lights, you need to order the door specifically to accept storm doors. They will add an additional molding piece between the door and glass portion to attach the storm door to.

Old 01-03-14, 06:55 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Agree with all the comments so far. I sold doors for 5 yrs at HD. A FG door won't rust or dent but they cost more than steel. The finished doors like you linked will normally do better than one you stain yourself, but they do require regular maintenance. You CANNOT let it slide. Once the finish starts to degrade you will have to completely refinish or paint. I think painted doors stand up to the weather better and are easier to re-finish when the time comes.

One note on the storm door....it is NOT recommended for FG doors that receive more than 4 hrs of direct sun each day. At least it used to be, doubt things have changed much. Fullview (all glass) storm doors are the worst. The temp between the doors can reach 140-150 degrees in full sun which can warp the plastic glass frame and harm the finish.

Old 01-03-14, 09:38 AM
N
Thank you all !

One of the reasons for me getting a new door was the looks, so I will avoid the storm door at all costs. I wouldn't mind a steel door if I could find one that looks like wood or wood looking fiberglass.
Is there such an animal? I have not seeing it anywhere so far.
I have about 15ft of porch space in front of that door, so it's not exposed to the rain ever and the sun is probably 3-4 hrs.
Theoretically, I could plant some kind of sun shade/barrier in the front yard to block out the sun, but it will take some time to grow

Old 01-03-14, 09:49 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd probably go with a wood door. If you seal all 6 edges [including top/bottom] it should hold up for a long time. You will need to sand it down the exterior side and apply a new coat of poly every few years.

Old 01-03-14, 10:04 AM
N
You know marksr,
I was just thinking about the same thing...

If I have to sand and refinish the door on one side anyway, why not take my current door, patch the cracks and refinish that?
Almost the same amount of work and less cost. My only concern here is how I will be able to give it a good (prefer mahogany-like) stain if it's a pine door.

Old 01-03-14, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator
FG comes in smooth and woodgrain...either ready to paint/stain or pre-finished. Off the shelf at a box store you'll normally only find fancy glass pre-finished wood grain, plain glass smooth (normally just "special buys").

Steel does not come in anything but smooth.

In your climate...rust is not a big issue unless you live near the water, but any scratches or dents can still rust if the metal is exposed.

I'd go FG...but if possible, I'd want paint instead of stain. Depends on your desires and willingness to do maintenance.

Old 01-03-14, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator
If your panels have cracked...they will stay that way. You can patch...but as it expands and contracts the cracks will re-appear.

Old 01-03-14, 01:14 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd evaluate the condition of your existing door and whether it's worth the effort or if it's better to buy a new wood door. You could strip your existing door and then fill the cracks with Durham's Rock Hard Putty [don't apply more than needed as it's hard to sand], sand the door, stain and apply 2-3 coats of spar urethane. It's doubtful you can completely hide the cracks.

Old 01-03-14, 03:26 PM
N
Thanks again!

Yea, it looks like the BOSS would not let me get away with refinishing existing door anyway, she wants new, nice and of course expensive.
She actually like those, I believe called "talk through" doors with the little window about a foot away from the top and bars blocking that window. Aesthetically, i hate those things, but I think she is set on that design, we'll see what would it take to change her mind...

Is there any way to apply additional protection to the FB door before I put it up?
I have all bunch of formula 303 protectant that I use on literally everything that lives outside - cars, plastic, painted metal, canvas (does not wok so well).

303 030370 - 303 Aerospace Protectant Refill - 1 Gallon 030370 - Boaters Plus

Old 01-03-14, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator
Speak easy type doors? Like this? Steves & Sons Rustic 2-Panel Speakeasy Unfinished Mahogany Wood Entry Door with Sidelites-2283MADSURI at The Home Depot

Yeah...depends on the home design if that would work.

A protectant is good...to a point. I use Eagle1 spray nanowax on doors and windows (garage door included) and it makes them look good for about 6 months....but it still wears off.

Old 01-03-14, 04:09 PM
N
Yep,
That's exactly what she likes arrgh

I know, nothing will protect it from daily sunlight (sorry Midwest, I am not trying to rub it in) forever, but it seems easy enough maintenance to apply every 4-6 month instead of refinishing the whole door, whenever that becomes a necessity.

Old 01-03-14, 09:48 PM
N
Stopped at Dixieline today,
They have a decent selection of ThermaTru doors, but majority are not prehung and not prefinished. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing, definitely saves some money to buy unfinished, but not sure about prehung??? I have installed regulars slabs before, but it was a loooong time ago, plus my strike-side jamb is pretty beat up.
Any place you can recommend where to get a decent prehung door? & yes, I can live with "speak easy" - at least they are telling me that I can

Old 01-04-14, 04:30 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Look in the yellow pages or online and see if you can find a supplier that caters to builders. They'll have a lot better selection of doors than you'll find at a big box store.

Old 01-04-14, 07:42 AM
N
thanks marksr I will !

hope it works

Old 01-04-14, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator
Only thing about building supply...they don't normally keep a lot in stock. Everything is special order. Same with the box stores really...they stock what sells.

Hey Newbie....I think our local HD has a couple of those speakeasy FG doors in the clearance area from a special buy they had. Want me to check? Feel like driving 5 hours east to pick it up?

Old 01-04-14, 03:27 PM
N
Thanks for the headsup and for the offer.

I think I 'll pass on the offer though.

I am still in the process of bringing myself to the speakeasy and may end up going with the sidelight. I know, i know - that's where the money pit starts

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: